Need a little help...Rolls Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rapidray, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Does anybody here have a stainless steel Rolls Razor. If so can you tell me if yours has 2 serial numbers or if you have heard of them with 2 different serial numbers. Thanks

2. Rapidray

Ok, I know I am treading into new water on this one. My magnet is ready. :)

3. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I have five rolls Razors and a few spare parts but each of them have only one serial number. There are numbers on the back of the blade which will give the year of the blade, but that is not a serial number per se. If you could include some pictures we would be better able to assist you with the question.

Here is an excellent thread for you to refer to.

Billyfergie and Rapidray like this.
  4. Rapidray

I have that link on my Top Sites, along with the Shave Den. ;) It is an excellent thread. I went ahead and made the seller an offer as they do not show up that offen. He accepted and should be going out in the next day or so. It will be coming in from England. Will post photo's when I get it in.
    You have five...cool. Thanks. Here is one of the photo's from the sellers page.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    gorgo2, Billyfergie and Jostalli like this.
  5. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Congrats on upir purchase! It seems to be in really good shape.

6. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

This is what my Rolls has on it.

One side of blade has "Best Sheffield Steel"
    Other side has "Rolls Razor Pat. No. and then the patent numbers.
    Side opposite the blade has: Top line "Rolls B - Hole for pin - 7 made in
    Bottom line "Razor 53 - hole for pin - England

The 7 is spaced equally before the made in England.

Greg W.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

Mine (my late Dad's) has "J51" on the "Rolls Razor" side of the pin hole and "5" on the other by the Made In England. I'm not sure what the codes mean but I presume "51" is the year of manufacture. Could "5" be the month (7 in your case)?

Regards,
    Chris

8. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

^^^^You could be right. Never thought of it that way. Thanks. But what do you think the J and the B stand for?

Greg W.

9. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

As Misphit said, the 2 digit code is the year of manufacture. No indication what the single digit means and the letter is anyone's guess, can't find any reference to that at all so far. Could be a batch code, that's a thread worth pursuing.

Mine's also an Imperial No2 but in the plain cardboard case.

Regards,
    Chris

10. paul M

paul M New Member

Hi from the UK.. I have 4 Viscounts,, 8 Imperials with another two on the way. and 3 Alloy Imperial's. But still cannot find a year code even on the Alloy cased ones which were made from the onset of WW2 (large Alloy Stocks) until the Viscount took over 1950/51. l have got C274890...C233727...C084442.. thought l had sussed it with the middle digits 48..44.. but 37 would be too early l think. I cant believe its so hard to get info on these except John Bloom brought the company around 1958 when the company was in trouble (elec razors) and started selling washing machines. But unbelievably scant info. Unless you know different. I love these wonderful engineered razors and cannot believe they a so cheap on E Bay. Also l have about ten spare blades in packets or boxes. The idea is to make up a good collection to leave the kids.