Need Advice on what to buy

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by djwurm, Aug 6, 2009.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Ok guys I am about to throw down and purchase a new straight and have a hard time deciding what I want to do.. I only have about 250 to spend so this is what I came up with after hours or debating and narrowing down. I need help deciding!

Option 1 total cost is 257.98
    http://straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=226
    [​IMG]

Plus this case so I can store my razor and my backup
    http://straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=426
    [​IMG]

Pros: Cost effective as I get a razor and case together. Blade looks cool!
    Cons: Not horn scales as thats what I really want!

Option 2 total is 243.99
    http://straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=478
    [​IMG]

Pro's: has horn scales which is what I am really looking for. Also seems to be a better class of metal and shaver overall than most of the other dovo's. Its also really nice looking and my absolute favorite out of all the ones I looked at.
    Cons: cost.. if I get this one I will not be able to buy the case like in option 1. I dont have a way of storing a razor other than sitting on my small counter in my bathroom. I dont want something this nice sitting out.

So what would you do???

2. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

The Bergisher Lowe is a really great shaver, one of my favorites of the straights that I own.
    Check out em's place, they had them for 199 awhile back, there was one other shop that had them for just under 200 too, don't recall where but it was easy to find via google.

As far as the case, my Razor did come with a tin metal foam lined container.

The only things I don't like about it is the goldwash (all goldwash on any straight razor is very delicate and will eventually wear and flake away) and the black rubber grip. It tends to trap moisture if you are not careful. Many people just cut this off.

3. djwurm

djwurm New Member

ohhh the Straights come in a case? Sweet! that makes my decision easier!!!

Bergisher Lowe it is!!!

Thanks Superbleu!!!!!!

4. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

5. JimR

JimR Active Member

Very nice taste there. I like the BL most of all the Dovo's, too. One thing to recommend SRD over Em's Place, your blade will come honed by Lynn Abrams, who is very likely the most experienced razor honer in America.

Royal shave doesn't mention anything about Honing, and Em seems to believe Dovo when they say they their razors are shave ready from the factory--most people agree that they aren't.

Just something to think about.

6. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Actually they are running a deal that it will come honed by Lynn and will also included a gift certificate for another free honing..

I think its worth it to buy from SRD.

7. JimR

JimR Active Member

I think that's their standard deal, actually, and it is worth it, I think. You can trust Lynn and Don to take care fo you, especially with a big ticket item like the BL.

8. Fozzy-Beard

Fozzy-Beard Member

Hi,

the "Bergischer Löwe" is probably the best straight offered by Dovo. It has got a lot of positive feedback in our German forums. But I am really wondering about the prices. Hey, that's cheaper than in Germany!!! The Dovo razor case would cost $125.00 here for example!
    I guess that have to order my next German straights in the states to ship them back to Germany... :D

Kind regards Michael!

9. djwurm

djwurm New Member

hahaha thats pretty crazy!

Ordered the Bergischer Löwe last night! Will post picks when I get it! Hopefully the wife doesnt look at the bank account!

10. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Dang it shipped next day after I ordered it!

11. djwurm

djwurm New Member

It came today but the wife intercepted the package. I had to explain what it was and how much it cost...

she was not happy and said I could not have/open it until my birthday (Aug 31)! :(

12. Deryan

Deryan New Member

:happy102 busted.... gl on the nice SR :)

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:happy102 :happy097 :rofl

That's gonna be the longest wait.....

14. Fozzy-Beard

Fozzy-Beard Member

Hey,

that's the reason why I get such things shipped to my workplace! ;) One other thing is important: You must own so many straights that your wife looses the overview and that she will not be able to recognize any new ones in your collection. This is working pretty good with my pipe collection... :D

Viele Grüße :D from Michael!

15. JimR

JimR Active Member

This is a fine idea...I should get to work!

16. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Hahaha I would have divorce papers on my counter faster than I could count if I had more straights than she could keep up with..

Shes good about money and checks things pretty closely. I get yelled at all the time for buying stuff I want (not need)..