Need Help deciding on a knot for Rubberset 200-3

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JR Reyes, Nov 10, 2015.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Gents,

I'm looking for some advice on which knot I should load into this Rubberset 200-3. The hole is right at 28mm.

I think it would look more authentic with a boar, but I honestly prefer to use 2-band badger or synthetic knots.

I'm looking forward to the conversation. Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kizurra likes this.
  2. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

My personal preference is badger over boar, can't speak on synthetics since I have knot tried them. I just don't think they could hold water the same as natural hair, but I could be completely wrong in that thinking.

3. JR Reyes

Synthetics don't hold water as well, but feel softer on my face. If I go badger, I was thinking of a nice 2-band finest, with a high contrast and white tips.

Kizurra likes this.
  4. jmaier

jmaier Well-Known Member

Agreed that a boar knot would look more authentic, but I love the idea of the high contrast and white tips on a badger to complement the handle's color scheme. Regardless, that has all the makings of a fine piece. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Kizurra likes this.
  5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

You could drop a big Omega boar knot in there with a little effort. From a design stand point try and make the brush look balanced, knot and handle somewhat proportional. I'd have no issues putting a nice 2 band in there. I always liked the older H.I.S. knots too (28mm) just make sure it still has the glue bump in it. I can't remember if the new ones do. It's a nice handle and you have a lot of options.

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Omega Boar would look so Retro! :happy088:

7. JR Reyes

Thanks for your advice and input Steve. If I could find a HIS knot, I would go that route.

I hear what your saying about balance and staying proportionally correct.

I think A big 28mm badger might make this brush look top heavy.

8. JR Reyes

20151110_144022-1.jpg
    Here is a picture of it in front of my 28mm silvertip knot.

Do I like Badger??

CyanideMetal likes this.
  9. JR Reyes

If I remember correctly Gary did one of these and dropped a HIS synthetic knot into it.

10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Yes we do. We like Badger, how 'bout you!

JR Reyes likes this.
  11. JR Reyes

LOL...reminds me of a cheer or something like that.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

This is what I did with a similar brush......a big extra dense finest. One of my favorite restores.

Restore3l.JPG

JR Reyes and Jayaruh like this.
  13. JR Reyes

Well Hello, Hello! Very nicely done Ed. May I ask which size knot you went with? And what did you use to get that nice glossy finish on the black collar?

Redrock likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice, Ed.

Redrock likes this.
  15. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Hi JR...good to see you more active again...we missed you.

Here you go. Loft and base before and after with measurements. Setting the knot deeper than the base makes for a nice backbone yet I still I have nice, soft tips. This guy is good with creams and soft soaps. It is wonderful for face lathering. I do not know the origin of the knot. I picked up the knot from a gentleman in California - $18.00 shipped!!!

For polishing I used the Novus Polish system. Started at bottle 3 and worked my way down. Just gotta figure if I want to re-paint the lettering. I like the "aged character" of the handle with a restored knot.

Hope this helps.

Restore3k.JPG