Need help from our German Wetshavers

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Single Wedge, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I am trying to find more info on the Comfort Razor made in Germany. So far a detailed search of the European Patent office has yielded nothing. The only lead that I have is that the Kampfe Bros. Star razor is almost an exact copy of the Comfort. The Kampfes lived in Saxony. The Factory may have been there between 1855 and 1872.

Can someone help me?

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I did some more digging and discovered a brief from a gentleman that was employed for a Sheffield firm that went to Solingen in 1880 +/-. I appears from his records that Saxony was impoverished and if the Kampfes were born there chances are that when they were 14 they left Saxony and went to Solingen where the wages were much better.

I think I can find more information about the company but I cannot find a link to the German Cutlers Guild. I am relatively certain that it still exists in a very small fashion. All cutlers had to register with the guild, if I can locate this then I should be able to track the information down.

Incidentally. I appears that Solingen and Sheffield had a tight relationship and some work was actually farmed out to Sheffield such as Mother of Pearl handles. So your Sheffield blade may have been produced in Germany or vice versa.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I've got a book on the history of Solingen. I'll consult it tomorrow to see if I can find any information on the Kampfe brothers or that guild you mentioned...

4. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Manufacturing date: 1904

Patent info: German patent Trade Mark D.R.G.M. 155120

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's another version.

[​IMG]

And another:

[​IMG]

And one more, the American Model.