Need Help Identifying Razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by FacialCarnage, Apr 1, 2013.

1. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I found this razor, but am not sure if this is a vintage Merkur or not. If anyone knows any info about this razor it would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

178-bplatoon and alpla444 like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Looks like a vintage Merkur to me, but Im NO expert, nice find, you had time to try it yet?

3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

The BF said it looks like a vintage Merkur OC, but not much seems to be written about it. If you're on B&B you could also try asking in the OC Brotherhood thread.

B&B images--
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The mercury head is the Merkur logo. So, I'd say "yes" to vintage Merk at least for the handle.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have one looks just like that. Has GRAFCO under the head. A re-branded Merkur.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  6. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

FC, what is written on the faceplate? The ones made for Adams by Merkur that were sold in Merkur boxes have "Adams Germany". As swarden43 said, the newer ones will have Grafco or other rebrand names (eg Weck).

7. swarden43

Hoffritz was another name they used.

8. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks Steve. So Hoffritz/Grafco/Adams/Coles were all contemporaries for whom Merkur made razors?

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Let us know how it shaves? :)

10. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

It has Adams under the head. Thanks for all this great info. That's why I love this place.
    I haven't gotten my hands on it yet, but I will definitely update after I get to try her out.

11. swarden43

Don't quote me, but I think so.