Need help making a decision.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by otherstar, Dec 24, 2008.

1. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I need some help from the forum. I posted this in another forum, but I wanted to post it here too, so I apologize for the cross posting. I want to buy one brand new razor. Now that I've got a full time job again, my wife is allowing me to do this for Christmas and I'm just trying to stay within my own budget.

I've been using a DE since June of this year when my mom sent me her dad's Z1 Super Speed and I also have a Z3 Black Handled Super Speed that I received as a PIF from Zot!. The older SS gives me a great shave, but there is some spotting on the plating on the silo doors and since it was my grandfather's I want to keep it in good shape for sentimental reasons (he died when I was two). The other SS I have is a nice shaver, but too mild for me. I can get DFS to BBS shaves with 3-4 passes each time with either razor.

I would like a razor with more heft that might allow me to go to a two-pass shave once in awhile and still have good results. Right now, if I do a two-pass shave I have too much stubble left for my comfort (even if I have the day off from work). I have average sized hands so handle length doesn't matter to me (I used to think it did, but after six months using the two vintage razors that doesn't matter any more). My beard isn't very thick and my skin isn't overly sensitive either. I'm also very budget conscious. I don't really want to build a collection of razors. I do have a 5-day rotation of creams/soaps, but I use what I can get locally (KMF, VDH, CO Bigelow -- the list of what I can locally once I find time to make it British Isles down in Rice Village where I can score some T&H, or Trupers, etc.).

Now that you have the background, here's the question. I'm trying to decide which of the following razors might meet my needs best (I've pretty much ruled out several other new razors to arrive at this point):

Merkur 34c (the HD) -- I can get this for under $30 at shavingessentials.net and then be able to afford a tub of Tabac​

Merkur Progress -- I can't afford the Mergress, and if I get this I won't be able to get anything else, but that's not really that important, I want a razor that will get the job done

Merkur Futur -- probably too expensive, but this razor has always intrigued me and I love the way it looks in polished chrome.​

I've ruled out the 38c, and the 23c, and other Merkur's because I don't think a long handle would be that much of an advantage and some of the other Merkur's just don't have the heft I want. I've got the Futur on there just because, someone would have to make a real good case to me why it would be the best razor for me right now. I doubt I'll buy a brand new razor again, I won't rule out other vintage razors down the line (like a FatBoy, or some other Gillette adjustable). I've also ruled out the Parker line, I'm just not impressed the reviews I've read.

Would the Progress or the 34c would work best for me in the long run? Or, should I throw caution to the wind and get the Futur? I'm trying to do my homework and make the right decision from the get go.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Merkur 1904

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The Merkur HD was my first non Gillette and it's a great shaver. I haven't tried the Merkur adjustables so can't comment on those. You may also want to consider an American Aristocrat, these are a bit more aggressive than the SS's and have more heft to them, they can be had in very good to excellent condition for around the price of the HD or less.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Seeing as how you seem to like the HD and want something that could provide a decent 2-pass shave, I recommend the HD Slant.

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Out of the ones you have chosen, I'd go with the HD. Good on the budget, still a great shaver, and you can pick up a slim adjustable or fat boy later if you want to try an adjustable.

6. It's Christmas - Get them all because you will eventually anyway ! ;)

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'd go with the HD. I love mine. I have some great shaving gillettes (SS, aristocrat, LH super, super, etc) and I still use my HD just as much as any of them.

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I'm partial to Parker 3 piece razors. Have used the 89r and the 91r. Both are aggressive but give really close shaves. And they are inexpensive.

9. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Progress.
    Since it's adjustable it works well with all blades and also since it's adjustable you can dial it in so it's just right for you.
    Not too Hot, not too cold, Just Right.

10. otherstar

I've been intrigued by the Parker's but I've heard they are fairly aggressive. What has your experience been with their quality control? I've seen the Parker 80r online (it looks like a TTO version of the 91r), and I like the looks of the 91r and the 71r, but I haven't heard enough about them to buy one sight unseen.

11. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I would get the HD. If you absolutely want an adjustable, get the Futur instead of the Progress - from my own experience and conversations I had with a person who would know, there are consistency issues with the Progress. Sometimes it is difficult to get the blade aligned properly so you have it exposed equally on both sides. The Futur is massive, but doesn't suffer from this problem.

However, as someone else said, if you really want a nice one that can give you a good 2-pass shave, try the Slant. Put your favorite sharp blade in it, and it mows down the whiskers.

12. otherstar

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I'll likely go with the 34C and get some Tabac soap to go with it. I may get the 38c too because I aggravated a wrist problem the other day and that has affected my grip so I might need to re-think my need for at least one long-handled razor for times when my hands are giving me fits.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

ohhhhh, a very gentle razor is a Ming Shi, or a Weishi, or a Lord Super.

14. otherstar

Update

Well, I finally made my decision. I wound up getting both the HD and the polished chrome Futur. I finally gave in to RAD. I discovered that the source of my irritation was actually my ATG pass. I decided to follow the advice my Dad (and my Father in law) gave me--they both said "use downstrokes only." So that solved that. Now I just can't wait to use both razors. I'll post results later.

15. JayKay

16. JimR

JimR Active Member

Yay Futur! I'm sorry I missed this thread before. Good choice there. Fantastic razor...

17. otherstar

I used the HD for the first time this morning and I got a great shave (DFS) in three passes with a blade that I had been using in my '54 SS). I've got a brand new blade loaded in the Futur and I will give that a try tomorrow (so my face can heal over the weekend if I mess up :ashamed001).

18. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Sorry I did not see this sooner. You would have done yourself a favor by getting a Gillette Slim adjustable. The overall design is great!! The head is a better shaving head than what is on the FatBoys too. Set it on 5 and shave away!

19. JayKay

I never liked the shaves I got for a slim. I'm not sure why either. It just never made it up to the list of the razors I love so I just gave it away. Now a long handle super adjustable? THATS a great razor.

20. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

You are damn right about the Super. That is most likely the finest shave adjustable razor a man could ever use. Just so long as you get the all metal one, and NOT one that has the black plastic underside!

Gillette really made improvements with each new adjustable. The Super adjustable was the crowning achievment for them.

Personally, I just like the way the Slims feel in my hands better the Supers. It is more comfortable for me, thus the only reason I mostly use a Slim instead of a Super..............