Need Help on Year of Razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Brian, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

[​IMG]I found this Gold Gillette razor at a flea market, complete with tin, razor blade box and two Gillette Thin Blades. She was asking $65.00 and I got her down to $30.00. I checked the serial number on http://www.safetyrazors.net/gil_ser2.htm but did not find a matching code here. Does anyone know in what year this was made, and about the value of it? (Did I over pay or did I get a deal?)

The date code on the head is E10038

All of the codes on the web site show 6 numerals instead of 5. The handle seems to be thicker then the standard Gillettes I have.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I would guess that the head is a 1917; however, like you said the number of digits is fewer than normal. Unfortunately, the handle came from a tech from the anywhere from 1938 to the early 50's.

If the head, box, and blade box, is in good shape then $30 may be an OK price. Its too bad it didn't have the original handle.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Gonna need more pics. It looks like a fat handle tech handle with an old type comb and cap. All I can see from what is shown. Also, try to get a pic of the outside of the case, that may provide some insight as well.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

Not a happy camper right now, I looked in the bag and no razor. Not sure where it is, but isn't in the van and didn't make it into the house...

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:shocked003

Call the store and see if you left it!

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

I would but not a store. The flea market is only open on the weekends, so I will be going back to check, the lady sets up the same place every time or at least has been every time I've been there.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Most of it - the case, head pieces and blade box - would be the pocket edition made by Gillette that look similar to the ones made by the American Button Company for Gillette except the handle would be a hollow ball-end handle. So the handle you have is a mis-match and goes to a later razor. Here's what it should look like:

[​IMG]

8. Brian

Brian Active Member

Very cool, would the Letter+5 numerals mean anything or just not a good stamp? I did see it was made in the US. Is there a place where handles or parts can be bought to make this a proper set? I'm hoping I just left it there or she forgot to put it in the bag. My shave mugs made it home alright, will be posting some photos here later.

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Not really a certain place other than online vintage razor retailers and the usual auction sites like eBay but the good news is that the old-type ball-end razors that would be found in these sets, are readily available and found very often, especially on eBay. Finding one without a crack, split or hairline fracture in the handle is another story as these imperfections in these older hollow Gillette razor handles are very common.