Need Info on Emco Straight Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Stroker, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Picked up an Emco 3/8 Straight Razor (barber shop equipment) at an Antique Store the other day and it seems to be a great shaving razor. It has a twin stick figure on the tang that looks familiar.
    If anyone has any knowledge of the history and provenance of this razor I would appreciate learning more about it. Thanks! :D

Attached Files:

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Is it a 3/8 or 5/8? The twin trademark is easy to identify because its famous among straight users. Its the trademark of JA Henckels , a German cutler. They had offices here in the U.S. in the 20' and 30's at least and were barber cutlers.I imagine the German inscription just means it was made in Solingen Germany.The Wiki's and members at Straight Razor Place can probably help you with exact information ,however, Henckels are extremely desireable razors.:)

3. shavejunkie

shavejunkie New Member

Hold onto that one its a beauty!!!!

4. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Wow, for $8 you stole that one, brother. Nice looking razor.

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

http://www.uniclectica.com/misc/manuf.html is a good place for information about many makes and makers of razors.

But yes, it's a Henckels razor made for a barber supply store (and sometimes hardware stores), much in the same way many of today's store brand items are made for them by name-brand manufacturers.

It IS a good catch for $8!

6. shavejunkie

shavejunkie New Member

OK, I'm losing it........Where did you see he got this for $8.00? I feel as though my brain has oozed out.:shocked029

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    In his SoS post today.

8. Stroker

Thanks a lot guys and Queen for all the info. Looks like I got lucky on this deal. My DW saw an old razor in the store and when I went back to look at it (an old beat up auto strop without any of the accessories) I saw this EMCO. It's in excellent shape and shaves great! Thanks again all! :D

9. Stroker

This one isn't as big as those clevers that you are working on GI but maybe it will grow up! :happy102