Need Info on UFO razor handles

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 178-bplatoon, Dec 15, 2012.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Has anyone here at TSD ever dealt with UFO and/or own one of their razor handles? I'd like your opinion on the company and the product. Would you know if there is an easy way to size(length,diameter,weight) them in the American Standard. Will UFO convert them for you so you can know what your buying? What are the prices like? I'm really interested in a beefy(3" x 1/2"dia.) BullDog type handle with nice "BarberPole" knurling in either SS or Red Bronze. I just purchased the short SS "BarberPoled" handle from "Above the Tie" and while its nice it isn't quite beefy enough for me. None of the American handle makers I emailed have shown any interest in producing a "BarberPole" BullDog type handle. So any info I can get on the UFO handles will be VERY much appreciated.......:) :signs001:

Luteplayers likes this.
  2. single

single New Member

I have two of their handles and they are excellent. You just need to bear in mind they are hand-made and not produced by CNC so they may not be "perfect" but they are glorious. II have one in 316l steel and another in aircraft grade a,uminium and both are things of beauty and incredibly well balanced I have a kaiser short which improves my tradere SB head way beyond the standard hansle. They sell via a blog site and you need to e-mail them to order. Ordering is personable and efficient.

The other site to visit is you want custom made btw is JEC handles. This is a British (Scottish) guy who sells via a tumblr site. He is very helpful and also produces very well balanced and well made custom handles.

Back to the point though UFO really do produce excellent handles and they favour spiral "aristocrat" type knurling. I would recommend them.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Thanks ALOT for the info. Would you have any idea of the approximate costs (razor + shipping) in US money? Also how did you convert sizes to Standard? Did you use a credit card or did you have to use Paypal?

4. single

single New Member

Based on shipping costs to me it would be 75 USD but it may be more in shipping to US than to Uk where I am. Do not think additional cost would be massive though. You can pretty much specify sizes both in terms of diameter and length. They will work in metric size so you will need to convert. They use PayPal and once the handle is finished they will e mail you to confirm and follow up with a PayPal invoice. The communication is pretty good.

5. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I love this site. I would have never heard of UFO handles without it. I have curtailed my RAD for now, but I'm thinking in the New Year I'm going to need one of those.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Rafael does some wonderful work. I don't have one of his handles ... yet. However, they are really beautiful works of functional art.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ditto to that. UFO handles and discussions are more common over at Badger & Blade, as more of their members tend to buy the expensive stuff. As far as pricing goes, you are looking at $70-100 depending on materials, and weight. I have never heard anything negative about UFO handles and most people that end up owning one, seem to get a couple more shortly thereafter.:)

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

There are also very active conversations at TSN as well. One of the reasons why they are not seen as much as others (Weber, Above The Tie, iKon) is the fact that they are in Spain and Rafael and his friend (Dr Dulcamara) both use Google Translators to help them communicate on the forums. So a person who has skills in Spanish who is an active member on those forums that they trust introduced the razors and then request started coming in.

Here is their blog and they have it in Spanish then English translation.

http://uforazorhandles.blogspot.com/

Now, on an aside note, there are two people that I go and look at their "product shot" images as much as possible. One of them is Bruce (Stroker) and the other is Dr Dulcamara.
    I look at their image to see and to learn and improve my methods of photography.

Maybe later next year I will be able to get one of their "smaller" razor handles. Time will tell.

PLANofMAN likes this.