Need some convincing.

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Straight Arrow, May 20, 2007.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I haven't been a cologne guy since I was 14 and believed that Hai Karate would attract lots of girls. That was 37 years ago and now that I am pampering myself a bit with traditional wetshaving I am beginning to have thoughts of trying the scents again. I've got to be careful though because, for the most part, my wife really hates the smell of colognes and reacts rather badly to them. This is probably because most people wear cheap stuff and way too much of it.
    I just got some Floris samples as part of a swap. What do you guys think?? How should I proceed so as not to make my wife puke!:eek:

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Remember, a little goes along way!

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

What he said. Just a dab.

4. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I think the general rule of thumb is that you should not be able to smell someones cologne until you get to within arms lenth of them. Just a dab on the pulse points. behind the ears and on your wrists that sort of thing.

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Toning 'em down a bit might help:

-> If they are atomizers, add a little water.

-> If they are in vials or some other bottle with open mouth, then apply small amount to skin, then dab water over spot you applied it to.

One more thing, if you are a fan of aftershave splashes (but SWMBO doesn't like the powerful scents), you can always rinse them off a few moments after splashing them on....and you are left with a "hint" of the scent behind. I actually have made a habit of this and my skin agrees :D

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Make sure your Wife approves of the scent(s).
    Take her shopping with you and buy different samples and decants to try.
    Surely there are some fragrances that will agree with both of you. ;)

7. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I was the same until I got into this shaving thing. I found that starting out with simpler natural scents was a good way to ease into the whole thing. For example, sandalwood and limes types scents. I can't imagine too many people objecting to these since they more or less occur in nature. Just an idea.

Jordan