needing most up-to-date book, on-line etc. for straight razor's IDs

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mdpmedia, Aug 13, 2020.

1. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

I've got a bunch of SRs (straight razors) of which I have no idea of the year(s) they were made, the model name (if applicable), the country of fabrication or current approx. valuation.

W/r/t SRs some of these things only have a brand mark without any stamped model, logo or country name. Any others might have a logo with a brand name but do not have a country name stamped etc.

There are several resources on-line, however, but many of them may not be the most up-to-date and/or reliable in terms of accurate info.

Firstly, I would like to get several opinions on if there are any 'free' sites(URLs) one could check out for this type of reference info. Secondly, similar to many of the collectable antique coins' series, some of the most useful information is available only in print format (to protect the author doing the research) which could possibly likewise apply to SRs too.

In summary, plz. name some great books and web sites having the above stuff to make it easier for me to know what I've got. If I've got to lay out some cash to get the best, then so be it. I need the pros from the Den to shine some light in this tunnel I’m in.

Thx.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  3. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Some photos would be helpful in any attempt to identify them. Many SR manufacturers only stamped the name of the city of manufacture. The classification of manufacturers, brands, logos and place of manufacture can get quite complex. Strazors.com is another good source of the info you seek.

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This site is not always the most accurate according to experts, but it’s a good partial reference. It helps if you have a page search utility.

https://www.archivingindustry.com/cutlers&toolmakers/razormakers.htm

As far as models and country names go, I think that maybe you don’t understand how old many SR are, many times the makers didn’t even stamp their own names on early razors, and country stampings did not become common until after 1891.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020