Neglecting my Schick "I" types

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Beeman, Jun 16, 2018.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Some time ago, when I first began collecting injectors, I found the I type to be somewhat elusive. And when I did find one, the price was generally more than I wanted to pay. Eventually I acquired one and was subsequently disappointed with the quality of the shave that it provided. A few tries and into the "collection" stock it went.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago. And I suppose I should preface this by mentioning that over that past few months I have been spending an inordinate amount of shave time dedicated to my injectors. I had previously been fairly balanced between DE's and single edge but acquiring a Personna Floating Head propelled me into an injector phase that began to include vintage (NOS) blades as well. And yes, I should confess; shower shaving.

So, back to the tale of a neglected razor; One day I was rummaging through the razor drawers and came across one of my I types. Since buying the first one I've acquired a few, including a HydroMagic, but they were all labeled in my mind as collectibles only and not fit for using. Anyhow.... I pull out one of the I types which was already loaded with a mystery blade (probably a Chick but maybe a Personna) that most likely only had one or two shaves on it. I don't recall if it went to a sink shave first or to a shower shave but I was quite stunned to get a great shave from it. I cannot imagine that my technique has improved so it must be that the razor (through some sort of evolutionary process) somehow became a better razor by sitting quietly in a drawer with other lonely razors. So far I've shaved six or eight times with it and now just yesterday I popped in a new blade (NOS Teflon Plus Platinum). If this keeps up I might have to give the I2 a run.

Here's a picture of my current I Type collection. Reportedly the black/chrome version is somewhat harder to come by.

And the moral of the story is: Never throw away a razor and every now and then pull a neglected one out of the drawer and see if it has turned into a better razor than you previously remembered.

IMG_2296.JPG

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    RyX, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Very good shavers.

Hairy Alaskan and John Beeman like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Until I settled on the E2, I always wanted one of the nickel Hydro-Magics but only ever found gold. Such a handsome looking razor. If I ever come across one I will be forced to do a shave-off.

John Beeman likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My current Schick I razors. Top, two I1's. Bottom right, two I2 Hydro-Magics (different lettering). Bottom left, early I(55) same head profile as the I2. They shave great, although the I(55) is my favorite.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

RyX, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I like the I type the best of the post ww2 Schicks. They handle beautifully (configured much like the F), are great shavers, and the black-gold I2 is a great looker.

John Beeman likes this.
  6. John Beeman

Tonight's I Type shave

Cool shower with Castelbel Ocean Breeze bar soap
    Henri et Victoria Nautilus PSO (sample)
    Schick I1 3+ passes
    NOS Schick Teflon Plus Platinum (1)
    Pre de Provence soap in the Barbershop Luxury mug
    JR183 boar barbershop brush
    Thayers Peach WH
    Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods Powder

A very nicely scented PSO sample from HeV that I picked up at the recent Maggard meet. I slathered some on before getting in the shower and did my first two passes in the shower with PSO, water, and a little bit of bar soap on my neck.

The third pass and touchup pass were done post shower at the sink with a well soaked puck of PdP. I've come to the conclusion that I'll be PIFing this soap. It doesn't make the greatest lather in hard water (although acceptable) but the main problem is my skin doesn't seem to like it. That aside I got a very nice shave tonight. I have a J type razor that I've got about 5 shaves on one of these NOS Teflon blades and I got the same impression from tonight's shave with the I1 that the Teflon's are a decent blade but they're not as smooth as a Chick blade. I get a good shave with them but I need to be a little more attentive. I would also venture to say that the NOS Plus Platinum's (non-Teflon) I've tried are just slightly better. But again, I got a very nice shave; the distinctions I've mentioned between blades are of the hair splitting (no pun intended) variety.

004.JPG

AGHisBBS, Frijolero and PLAla like this.
  7. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Schick 66 and hydromatic have been in rotation for a few months now, no complaints. Good solid shaves. DE options are a Parker butterfly and a fatip loaded with iridium ProSilver Russian blades for even opportunity choices...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    John Beeman likes this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have an I1. Superb razor!

John Beeman likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The I1 is not my favorite.....but it is a good shaving razor. One I should use more I suspect.

John Beeman likes this.
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Is that the same design as the golden 500 I love the rinsing feature.

John Beeman likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I received nice shaves from injectors, but ran in to a slew of poor blades. Since then; I've I left injectors in favor of DE and a wide variety of blades.

Of course if everyone liked the same thing life would be boring.

RyX, PLAla, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  12. John Beeman

The I2 has the HydroMagic lever for easy rinsing.

PLAla and Redfisher like this.
  13. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

My Hydromatic always reminds me of the original battlestar galactica cylons...

PLAla and John Beeman like this.
  14. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I just found a silver/chrome I2 Hydro-Magic while traveling. I already have a gold colored one as well.

I find the I2 to be my favorite of the Schick injectors. The chrome one’s hydro-magic cleaning lever is longer than the gold one and easier to open.

Love it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    RyX, Frijolero, John Beeman and 3 others like this.
  15. John Beeman

The chrome I2 is reportedly a rare bird.

Nice find!