Nespresso machines

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, May 21, 2020.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Anyone familiar with these?

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  3. Primotenore

Article Team
    :) The pods are expensive. I have had some "ok" coffee from one. My issue is how long the coffee has been roasted (freshness). Same issue with a Keurig.

lightcs1776 and gorgo2 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found one abandoned yesterday. Looks to be operational upon plugging in but it's missing the water tank ($16 from Amazon to replace). Also takes some kind of pod. Don't know if it's worth getting it back in shape for resale, as I don't care for espresso. Complete unit is not exactly cheap to buy. This one's the model D40.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

BTW, using an old percolator now, I discovered that K-pods equal 2 tbsp of coffee, so now I can buy all manner of pods and enjoy them without having a K-unit.

6. Primotenore

Article Team
    These machines cater to convenience, rather than coffee taste. You could make a direct correlation with traditional wet shaving and a Cart/Goo shave.
    It all depends on how much you want to invest in your cup of coffee...and I am not talking about $$.
    Me...I roast my own beans and grind them
    fresh daily and have reached coffee nirvana. ;) Some friends of mine are satisfied with their cup of Speedway coffee.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think I'll put it back where I found it. Funny that someone would spend over $100 for the unit and then (presumably) broke the tank, and decided to pitch the whole unit vs replacing the tank.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    If you're ever interested in delving more into coffee roasting/brewing, drop me a PM.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I tried that fresh roasted service several months back, but my palate is so undiscerning it wasn't worth the money. None of it was bad but nothing knocked my socks off. Right now I'm drinking instant, if that's an indicator.

10. Primotenore

Article Team
    10-4.

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I prefer a French Press. The key is water temp. 194 degrees

Primotenore and lightcs1776 like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    You might find this interesting, Scott.

Enrico likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

While that was an interesting video, my experiences have been with how the coffee tastes.
    Keurig machines tend to make a weak tasting coffee.
    Drip makers are touch and go, for flavor.
    French Press gives a strong and full flavor.

Now, the temp of the water, in the French Press makes a world of difference. I have found, through over 25 years of using a French Press, that using straight boiling water will cause the coffee to taste more bitter. This goes for about every kind of coffee. I have started this over the past few months, and surprised the wife with a cup of it brewed with water initially at 194 degrees. she said it tasted creamy and not bitter. She thought I had bought a different kind of coffee. I think I heard this on a coffee web site, Black Rifle Coffee Company.

Primotenore likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I once drank a packet of Chinese instant (it was spelled korfee) that I found in the parking lot of the Sunoco station. It was fine.

I'll show myself out.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  15. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I have a Nespresso machine. The wife and I actually enjoy it. For us the coffee is pretty good. It takes the new pods. Yes the coffee is expensive but it makes a pretty good single cup. I also like french press coffee. And the wife does purchase beans and grind her own and make espressos. In the past we have used a Bunn coffee maker and it was okay but I got tired of the same old crap all the time.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

While in Africa the only thing my wife and I drank was Nescafe.

:eatdrink013:

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The fanciest I get making coffee is in my drip maker ...... prior to putting in the pot and tuning it on, I boil two cups of water and pour it over the course ground coffee. I wait one to two minutes, then turn on the machine and insert the pot. My way of blooming the coffee.

Though doing this you must sneak a large cup prior to the pot over filling. I think it taste richer and keeps it from being bitter.

I know ..... so barbaric :susel:

:eatdrink013:

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's a really good idea.

Enrico likes this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

What do you use to make your coffee? I have a Jura espresso machine, it allows me to fine tune my brew.

Primotenore likes this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    I use the following:
    1) Aeropress
    2) Chemex
    3) French Press

For espresso
    These: images.jpg 31X3HnWa78L.jpg RancilioSylvia1.jpg
    I have the set up as above but with the older model Rancilio pictured at the right.

CrustyCat likes this.