Neutrogena, clearly natural, and other soaps

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Sledge, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Sledge

Sledge New Member

I have been toying with the notion of soaps... both body, and for pre shave... but, in particular... im interested in pre shave soaps for this discussion... i went out and bought some neutrogena and clearly natural brand soaps, figured id ask which is the best for pre shave lubrication and skin conditioning..... as well as any other over the counter soaps for this task

also, whats the deal with nancy boy soaps? i looked at the website, and DAM! $6 a bar!!! i mean im sure its worth it, but someone please help me understand what he puts in his soaps that bring its cost to that level. i dont like paying $6 for a 6 pack of soaps lol but i do... hell i went out on a limb and got some of that dove with 1/4 moisturizer in it... the "gently efoliating" type.. (i like the scrubbies) so tell me... what are your thoughts?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nancy Boy products have earned a reputation as a good product. There are many things that facture into a price for any product. Raw materials, time, production costs, and others.

And the old adage, "You get what you pay for" is appropriate here, I believe.

3. Sledge

Sledge New Member

well yeah, but then the thought arises that particularly, dove, and other soaps, do their jobs quite well... there are other products at places like trader joes (the store) that are more natural than some of the junk served at local grocery stores, but when one thinks about the yearly cost of inviting in an item that is 7 times more expensive per unit, he has to ask himself what the benifit is that outweighs the price by at LEAST half of the transfer value... in other words, would you pay $3 per bar for a soap that did wonders over a bar at less than $1... if so? you might be willing to pay the extra $3 ontop of it for the luxury of HAVING that extra benifit... know what i mean?

is there a tingle? is there some sort of radically enchanting moisturizer used? do they last 5 times longer than normal bar soaps? (which coincidently is why i will probably not be buying any more body soaps that are pure glycerine... i bought one off an artisan everyone knows and loves, and while the shave soap was astounding, and so was the body soap, the body soap ran itself down by about 50% after 3 days :rofl so... not really cost efficient) just the little things that would make it so much better... scent maybe? i dunno.. thats what im askin

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Natural products will always cost more than industry churned out stuff. There is the fact they use more expensive ingredients, the yields are smaller and there is actual work involved in producing them as opposed to a simple factory.

The results also tend to be better in general. Plus with soaps like from Issy you can have scents that you would NEVER find in the store. Plus I don't know about you but I like to be able to talk to the guy who makes the product I am using. Let's me be able to get feedback from him and for me to pass along stuff to him.

Home made stuff is typically more expensive but that expense is always given back to you in results. My cookies kick the pants off Oreos, and cost in ingredients about 5 times more than a box of Oreos too. But I bet you would like them more! :rofl

5. Sledge

Sledge New Member

ill give you that lol but thats the thing, lets take choco chip for example.... no preservatives, bigger better quality chips, MORE of them... the ability to make them hot and fresh versus room temperature, hard, and packaged for months at a time... these are all reasons why your cookies (or my girls) are better than chips ahoy... but what are the core reasons home made soap is? what should i look for in terms of difference between them?

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Frankly, I don't see a need to wash your beard before the shave.

--> In fact, my shaves improved DRAMATICALLY when I dropped off the pre-shave beard wash with soap.

Hot water, and hot water only to the beard. No Soap, no liquid face wash, no nothing. You're better off leaving the sebum on, which is your beards natural lube and defense against the blade.

I do however use pre-shave products (but NOT cleansers) immediately prior to the shave.

e.g. Crema 3P, Noxzema Medicated, etc.

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

While I am not the soap maker here, I recall mention from at least two sources here (Issy and TraderJoe if I recall) that certain soaps on the market actually contain chemicals that are harmful or at the very least rough on us. I also remember mention that some of these additions are actually banned in certain countries for their less than desirable nature.

There is also of course the reasons I mentioned before about scents, quality control, etc. Also the real hand-made stuffs quality is so far above the normal stuff that in some cases it is hard to compare them. It would be like fools gold versus real gold.

Let me give you an example in food again though just to make a better comparison. Have you ever picked up a carton of discount Ice Cream at the store? If you look at the ingredient list it can range from the norms (sugar, milk, etc) but it has things only a chemist would love because it is cheaper than high quality stuff. Not only that but there is a WHOLE bunch more air in the cheap stuff which is why it melts fast. Now take a premium or home made ice cream. I can name every thing I put in my REAL ice cream, Cream, Milk, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Vanilla. That is it. Now, which would you prefer to put in your body? Stuff you know in a raw state, or something you can't even pronounce let alone know what the hell it really is?

That is really the nitty gritty of it.

8. Sledge

Sledge New Member

very good explaination... lol ill have to remember that... never thought of it that way...