Never tried a synthetic, I am feeling the urge

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by grump, Feb 4, 2015.

1. grump

grump Well-Known Member

As the title states, I have never tried a synthetic brush and am feeling the urge due to all the chit chat. I am a face latherer.
    Here are a few questions I have?
    1. Am I missing something?
    2. Do the perform better?
    3. How do they feel?
    4. Are they worth trying?
    5. What and where is the best bang for my buck?
    6. Where is the best place to purchase a knot?
    7. What is the best loft for a synthetic?
    If you have any answers to these questions feel free to post or pm me. :confused:

Sevenbark and GDCarrington like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

whereever you end up, I well offer these few pieces of info,
    they handle water differently
    they are very soft

Tdmsu and grump like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I had another point,..... but I forgot what it was.

4. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I can't answer all your questions, but can tell you my thoughts. I have 2 synthetics, the Plisson and a Whipped Dog. Both perform great for me, although both are different.
    Plisson is softer of the 2, also has a smaller knot, 22mm. I don't find it floppy as some do and can face lather fine with it. No issues lathering any type of soap, overall performs very well and at 30 bucks (or was, don't think they are back in stock yet) is a good value IMO.
    Whipped Dog I purchased used from a member here. It is suppose to be 24mm but I measured it and it's 26mm which is fine for me. I also think its a different generation fiber, not positive on that. It also is soft but has to me A LOT of backbone. Also works well on all the soaps. Also for the cost a good value if you buy it new from Larry at WD.
    I currently also have a WD Silvertip, and a Turkish #6, the makeup on that is of debate, regardless a great brush for less than 6 bucks shipped. Each brush has its own feel and character and enjoy them all.
    The synthetics dry faster, don't require pre-soaking, never had either shed a single fiber and to me perform great and will be using these for a travel brush. If I had a gun to my head to only use 1 brush forever it would be a synthetic because they perform great and should last forever.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I drank the Plisson koolaid and am pretty happy with it. IMO, it's idiot proof. I'm face lathering this month and the Plisson is working great. No soaking, it rinses free of soap quickly, absolutely no badger scritch, and it feels like a fluffy kitten on the face.

Sevenbark, Tdmsu, Jostalli and 2 others like this.
  6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I have several synthetic brushes from TGN, Muhle and Whipped Dog. I prefer all of them over my boars and badgers, of which I have several various types.

Sevenbark, Rustty and grump like this.
  7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya that synthetic beverage sure is tasty..:pot:

Sevenbark and grump like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Answers:
    1. Yes.
    2. They peform different as do badger, boar and horse.
    3. From Scratchy to Velvety soft. (See the Generations Chart in one of the subthreads discussed below to understand the differences in fibers).
    4. Yes.
    5. As all brushes it depends on what you want to experience.
    6. TGN for a base synthetic knot if you want it to arrive faster. Virginia Sheng if you want to order from China.
    7. No less than 50 mm or you will begin to have issues with over stiffness and more of a rope sensation. Do not equate it with badger or boar settings. Depending on the size of the knot 20 - 26 mm you can loft it from 50 - 56 mm.

You might want to read up on the different generations of fibers. My signature line has a brush reference and many of the sub threads concern synthetics. Here it is for quick reference.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gd-carringtons-shaving-brush-reference.42885/

20 mm TGN 3 band restore. (Generation 3)

Restoration - Fuller Brush with New TGN Synthetic

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/restoration-fuller-brush-with-new-tgn-synthetic.30939/

26 mm FS restore (Generation 4)

My New Custom Gen 4 Brush - Added Info On Knot

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/my-new-custom-gen-4-brush-added-info-on-knot.38270/

I hope this helps.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Each to his/her own.
    I have two synthetics in my rotation that I don't hesitate to use when it's their turn at the puck.
    That said, I prefer badger over boar, and boar over synthetic.
    But that's me.

Sevenbark and Tdmsu like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Plisson is a great brush! It's actually been a lather changer, for me..

11. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Thank you! Any suggestions on where to purchase(best price).

Sevenbark likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

HERE It looks like they're out of stock. Bookmark their website, I'm sure the Plisson will be back soon. You can check eBay.
    ps. Sign up for their newsletter, they send all kinds of discount deals.

Sevenbark, grump, Tdmsu and 1 other person like this.
  13. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

One of the features I like best about synthetics is that they are very efficient with soap. Doesn't take much soap to make a mountain of lather. I have also never had a hair shed from my synthetics.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's because synthetics don't have hair. :p

grump likes this.
  15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have several fine badger brushes, horse and one boar. Once I started using the synthetics, I've hardly ever used the naturals. I love the larger H.I.S., the Muhle's V1 and V2, and the Whipped Dog ones are okay. They dry much faster, the "hairs" do not fall out and they hold water well enough to make great lather.

grump and Sevenbark like this.
  16. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

When you try the Edwin Jagger XL brush, you'll find your answer. For me, it is the best synthetic I have tried to date. Having said this, I will never give up my good 2-Band badgers for a synthetic unless it is absolutely necessary! :lyrtuy5:
    Good luck with the search.

17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I might get me a Synthetic. Oh hey thanks @celestino , I believe I will get me an EJ.

18. grump

grump Well-Known Member

After much debate by the two little guys in my head, :rolleyes:, I purchased a nameless synthetic fiber brush because I just felt the need to try one. Ok, at that point, I was satisfied.

Then, my wife, who was on the Amazon website looking at cheese cutters, asks me if I was looking at brushes. I told her that I was considering trying a synthetic brush.

About an hour later she shows me her her Amazon notification and on it is a brush.:signs081:

Now, I have 2 nameless brushes coming. This should be interesting.

clint64 likes this.
  19. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Ok, brush no. 1 (the brush wife purchased from Amazon) showed up today.

[​IMG]
    $17 shipped. It measures 25mm at the base with a 56mm loft. Next pic is next to 2 other brushes for size comparison.

[​IMG]

My first thoughts were that this is a very soft brush and how is this going to lather? I pressed it to my face and again it felt really soft. I took the measurements, pics and then it was lather time.
    1) I put a little warm water on my Arko in the cup
    2) waited about a minute
    3) held the brush under the faucet for a few seconds - it actually held water
    4) I dumped a little water off, shook the brush and began loading the brush for a 30 count and looked at the brush. I was a bit surprised how much soap it had picked up.
    5) I began lathering on my hand and wow did it make the lather - I was barely pressing on the brush just using the tips
    6) I rinsed off my hand, wet my face and began to face lather what was left in the brush. I had a frosting covered face in no time.

My final thoughts are that this is a very soft lather producing brush. It does its job well and although the gluing of the knot to the handle and the handle finish may be inferior, this brush may become my work horse.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Dzia Dzia, David Green and clint64 like this.