New at Walmart?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JAWilliams, Mar 4, 2011.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hmmmm, I never saw any DE blades at the Walmart near my house. :confused:

2. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

Well..guess that answers my question..thnx much!

ST

3. sffone

sffone Member

You think YOU'RE getting old?! I'm so old (64) that when I started shaving there were no cartridge razors. The choices were either Gillette DE, Schick injector, or Gem SE. And regarding soaps, Williams was the standard. I started wet shaving as a young man and never stopped.:D

4. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Steven, you forgot to mention straights. I assume there were still some companies making straights, as well as people still using them.

My wife was at wally world last night and didn't see any wilkies.

5. sffone

sffone Member

I suppose there were folks using straights then, but no one that I knew. Among the men I knew, the most common razor was Gillette, followed by Schick, and Gem trailed a distant third place. I started with DE, then went to injectors. It was years later that I got into straights, and then a few years after that I got back into DE, and finally SE.

6. paydepst

paydepst Member

No DE blades at the Chi-com mart in my neighbourhood either. I wonder if these Wilkies people are seeing are a lower level rebrand?

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not a rebrand. Same old Wilkinson's. But Wilkinson's is a budget razorblade, don't buy them thinking you will get a Feather blade. That said, the Wilkinson's are a better blade than Walmart's previous offering, the Personna blades. (Thankfully, Wilkinsons are not rebranded Personnas. Yet.)

8. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I got a pack this weekend. You guys are almost making me wish I hadn't. I haven't tried one yet.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I thought I had posted in this thread earlier... ?

The Wally Wilks packaging has changed recently. When I first bought them, the blades were in that push and slide type dispenser that the old ASR blades came in.

Now they are in a rectangle box...are they the same blades?

Perhaps this is an excuse to grab another pack.

10. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I have a couple packs each, of the Wilkie metal/plastic packs and the all plastic packs. Haven't tried the all plastic packed blades yet. Hope they work as well for me as the metal/plastic packed ones.
    Hope they work/last better for me than the Chicom Wilkie Atra carts. Those things just plain suck for me.
    If I can remember, I'll open one and shave with it this weekend, to let you know if they are the same.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Back in MY day, a leather belt was our Ritalin.

/con sarnit, dag nabbit, etc

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not having tried WM's, how do they compare to the Dollar General DEs? (which I find adequate, but then I'm not really picky so that may not mean much)

13. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Shavemark...

I am new to DE shaving, but got 7 good shaves (and 1 not so good) from my first Wilkinson Walmart blade. I have been taking my time & concentrating on form, but each & every shave was closer and smoother than I get with my Gillette cartridge razor. Just not as fast. Hurrying can cause pain.

I have been shaving with a Sabi TTO.

14. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

Wilks are ok, I like them better than Lord Plat. and they are dirt cheap at my Wally World:cool:

15. IversOC

IversOC Member

The Bed bath and Beyond in my hood also carries the Wilkinson's.

16. sffone

sffone Member

I never thought of checking at BB and B -- I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip.

17. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

Want a better laugh? A few weeks ago I was getting coffee at one of the overpriced coffee houses and the kid at the register had really long hair so I told him when I was in high school I had hair like Slash... he answered " Who is Slash ? "

18. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Wow, that makes me feel very old.:mad:

19. CSG

CSG Member

I think these are great blades and have gotten 4 shaves so far on the first one. Very, very smooth.