New Blades report.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Monty Craig, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

Hi folks, well a few of the guys on here have been very generous to pass me on a few blades to try, so in the spirit of kindness, I am giving a full report!

So far I have used a Polsilver blade, and it seemed fairly tame once I got my technique down. It did a great job, and lasted abut 2 weeks. Daily shaving, but my beard isn't overly heavy... It's that Native thing I guess! Ha...

When it came time to change blades, I tried a Feather. Wow! I was a bit nervous at first, but this blade sings across my face. I understand why you guys say use No Pressure though. I have been using it now for about a week, and it is still sharp. Updates coming soon... Thanks to Chris C Smoothy, and Azarius!

2. Pablojoven

Pablojoven New Member

Do you recommend trying a bunch of different blades to start or do you really like the Feather?

3. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

I actually think that the more blades you try, the better your shaving experience will be. I don't know too much yet, but some blades seem sharper (Although this is probably irrelevant since a dull blade can cut you!) and some are smoother, but everyone is different in what they like. I haven't tried enough yet to have a preference, but I am enjoying the learning process! The best thing is to ask questions, a lot of questions... there are many very nice people here who can share a wealth of knowledge!

PLANofMAN and DLP like this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs011: I agree completely Monty......:)

5. Pablojoven

Pablojoven New Member

Thanks for the advice Monty! Happy shaving!

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I totally agree with this, but I'm also an advocate of urging people to at least start with Feathers. Feathers encourage a light touch and proper technique right off the bat. People that start with more...forgiving blades are more likely to use too much pressure or poor technique with sharper blades later and their shave experience will suffer. But there are also so many other variables like which razor you are using, the sensitivity of your skin and how coarse or fine your facial hair is, not to mention that it can take up to six months for one's face (or legs) to become used to wet shaving. I love Feathers, and so do many other people. There is also a large group (probably about 50% of the other wet shavers) that really don't care for or actively dislike Feather blades. The only thing you will ever get the majority of wet shavers to agree on concerning Feathers, is that they are one of, if not the sharpest, DE blades out there. (other than medical use blades.)

7. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I bought a pack of 100 Astras when I bought my 1st razor. I had some shark super chromes and got a blade sample from a razor PIF. So far, nothing touches the Astras as for me. But I would recommend folks trying a variety. And once you find one that works fabulous...stick with it. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

Well so it seems PlanofMan, that and the fact that Burt's Bees shaving cream is awful! :happy088:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I should probably contribute here as well. Awake2Shave PIF'd me some blades a few months ago, including an Iridium Super. I finally tried it last night, and all I can say is that I can see why it had/has a large following. The difference between it and a Feather blade (to me) are minute; the edge for smoothness would have to go to the Iridium, though I really can't say why. Just a feeling, I suppose. It's a pity these blades are no longer made. Thanks, Awake.:D

10. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Glad to hear those blades are getting a work out :D

I probably read 100 plus postings on various blades before purchasing any. I have tried most of the popular ones, some not so popular, and a lot of things in between. It took trying a lot of blades in various razors to find combos that I feel worked for me the best.

Some blades seem to work in any razor, some seem very razor dependent, and others just did not work for me at all.

Blades are inexpensive, but yet such an important part of our set-up. The only way to know if a blade works for you is to try it, and hopefully a few times in every razor you own.