Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jimjo1031, Nov 28, 2018.
I like to restore them with weight and then they feel amazing!
Hardwright Anchorset brush. Not sure about the knot, so this is just dry fitted..............
that looks good! Maybe white synthetic? Higher loft? But i like it.
That was one I thought about using.
Barbershop Boar Brush....................
very cool Jim..nice job.
Good work Jim.
I have this brush that I really didn't care for because of the colors. I decided to change it, again, and add a decal. I put it together for @Yehuda D because he likes synthetics, and I have enough of them. The colors, red, white and blue, are the combined colors of the Israeli and Canadian flags. I also made a larger pic of the decal to line the inside of a pill bottle, with foam lining also. And of course some holes in the cap. And this is what I came up with..................
That is a great job Jim. I'm sure it will blow Jeff's mind.
A couple of Rubberset brushes that needed some attention. And of course I forgot to take pics before I removed the old knots................
Gradually working my way thru this thread. There is some awesome work on display here.
What type of paint do you guys use to restore or "fill in" the brand, model etc area where the paint has faded or is missing completely.
And any tips or hints as to how to apply the paint.
And is it possible to enlarge the hole that the knot goes into on a long handled rubberset brush such as the one shown above.
I'm guessing not, as I think it's some sort of vulcanised rubber or plastic. It's currently a 24mm opening, which I think from other reading means that i should use a knot that is 2mm less than the opening ie 22mm. But I really would like to get the largest sized knot onto the brush that I can.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Every so often when restoring a shave brush, something unexpected would happen. And then I would just stow them away, until I decided what to do with them. This is a short story of two of them. The first is a Rubberset B-15, which when I removed the knot, the handle base and ferrule fell apart. The part of the base that slips into the ferrule was in pieces. To fix this, I added some screws to the base, so I could add something to make the two parts of the handle stronger. After after enlarging the hole for the knot, I attached the ferrule using super glue gel, before adding more epoxy to join the halves together. The second one, a Made Rite #64 with butterscotch handle. This went south when I was nearly done removing the knot, and a decent sized chip came flying off when cleaning up the hole. Needless to say, I wasn't in a good mood and into the box it went, until today. I had to shorten it's height by about 3/16". Then I re-shaped the top and enlarged the hole for a larger knot. I didn't take a pic of that chip, I forgot. First two pics before restoring. Last pic of final products, but still want to polish them up more...................
A couple of years ago I got a Rubberset brush in a lot that was, well, let's say crappy looking. There were cracks and imperfections, so I started to re-shape it. It went through a couple color combos, but I still didn't really care for it. So in the extra parts box it went, until a couple of days ago. I sanded and changed the colors, and coincidentally they were close to an original brush. 1st pic which I borrowed on the net and the same type it originally was, except mine was blue. 2nd pic with 24mm synthetic not installed yet..........
I had this Certifyd #5 boar brush, but the original knot was getting too floppy for my taste. So I replaced the knot with a 24mm Timberwolf...............
They all look awesome, but i really like this one in particular. How do you restore the clear resin part of the handle so that it looks completely clear again. It looks very cloudy and messy in the before pic. Amazing work!
I just polished it.
Some brushes for @Jorvaljr..........
Separate names with a comma.