New forum software

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, May 2, 2011.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Some of you may have caught a indication in a couple of the help desk threads that we were considering moving to a different platform for the forum. Just wanted those interested to know that we're making the move to the xenforo platform. We've purchased the software, and have began constructing the forum. It will be a pretty intensive process, and completion probably won't happen for a few weeks at best.

In my opinion, since vbulletin lost their lead developers, the software has grown stagnant, and really hasn't grown with the times. While they may eventually get their issues worked out, I feel changing will benefit the forum.

The original owner of the software, Jelsoft, was acquired by the American new media company Internet Brands in 2007. Disagreements between the lead developers and the new management over matters involving the next big release of vBulletin, version 4.0 (including a rejection of their desire to make 4.0 a complete rewrite of the platform as opposed to Internet Brands preferring the use of agile development) led most of the original vBulletin developers to step down from employment at Internet Brands in 2009
    -Wiki

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

3. sparky5693

Administrator
    I forgot to mention, xenforo is created by those same "lost" vbulletin developers, Kier Darby and Mike Sullivan.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    +1,000,000

I'm excited!

It's going to be some changes, but hopefully nothing too difficult for everyone to adjust to.

5. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

Variety is the spice of life, the same goes for forums, we have been with this fir so e ti e it is good to see a change, and hopefully one for the better

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Sounds and looks good to me! For those interested, you can get a feel for XenForo by visiting their community forum as that is the actual software being used.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Out of curiosity, will tap-a-talk work with the new forum software?

8. sparky5693

Administrator
    Yes.

9. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Looking forward to a nicer hopefully looking forum.

Thanks for putting in the work and $ for the new software.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Cool! I am looking forward to the change.

11. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

This should be sweet!

I assume the reviews section and store will be preserved? Will things be migrated easily without losing any of the reviews?

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hey, I love writing reviews! Bobby, I'm sure everything will be smooth!

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

To cool...you picked a new software developed by the same lead developers...That sounds like something you guys would do...:) I'm really excited to see what they have come up with...I'm sure it will be very hip...Pats on the backs to all concerned with this monumental undertaking...

14. sparky5693

Administrator
    The store isn't part of vbulletin, so no change there.

The review section im not so sure about, but unfortunately its not even compatible with the current version of vbulletin. The software that powers the review section was sold, and the new owner doesn't seem to be able to get a new version out.....in the couple years he's owned it ive only seen bug fixes released. I'm actively looking for a patch to make the old software work, or to find a suitable replacement. Got a few potentials, but nothing decided yet.

All forum posts and user info will be moved over at the last possible moment so as to be current.

15. sparky5693

Administrator
    The software being written by the same people is no accident. I have the utmost respect for kier, mike, and the rest of the crew. They created a piece of software that has been an internet staple for a long time.

With the crew being able to start over from scratch using modern techniques, they've made huge progress in the short time xenforo has been around, and I have very high expectations in its future development.

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Although I am happy with TSD the way it is, I am certainly excited to hear about the new changes.

17. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Sure hope it's better than that other forum that just updated their software.. that place blinds me now, it's so bright. ha! :rofl

18. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Tell me about it. I am extremely frustrated with the new B&B and it has nothing to do with the brightness of the screen.

19. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

It's definately more challenging to navigate now.

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I had to turn to the dark background because it bothered my eyes. Sparky I hope you have better fortune with the new software.