New Gillette Ball End Replica Handle from Razor Emporium

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weasel640, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Looks like they are now producing Gillette Ball End Handles. Has anyone gotten the chance to look at these yet? What do you think? The price isn't great, but reasonable.

[​IMG]

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I will have to check it out. That picture is awesome.

Edit: I can't find anything about this. Where did you get that picture?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    RyX and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool,...
    its on their website under razors..

Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well, no more split handles.

brit and Jayaruh like this.
  5. Weasel640

I saw it in their Holiday Savings & News email they send out if you are on their mailing list. Here is the direct link:
    http://www.razoremporium.com/gillet...versally-threaded-solid-brass-factory-nickel/

Also looks like Coupon Code "blackfriday2018" still works for 20% off. Not sure how long it will apply.

Frijolero, wristwatchb, brit and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. That worked great. I have a U.S. Army Old Type head that will go great with that.

CarlfromMO, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

whole bunch of mint display only old types just got a new lease on life...

Frijolero, wristwatchb and DiggaDog like this.
  8. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Sadly they made them solid. They will add unnecessary weight to the razor.

Frijolero likes this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Doesn't look that way to me. Read the description: "and we have corrected the cracks by threading the neck and ball into the handle rather than press-fitting." The third photo shows it as well. I guess that could be a solid bar except for the ends. But if it isn't a tube then what would be the point of three separate pieces?

IMG_0009__56114.1542846017.500.750.jpg

10. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Ease of assembly and milling, most likely. I'm wondering if they've machined new ball ends and collets or are precision threading original ones.

I seem to have collected a few spare ball ends and collets and occasionally wonder about how best to put them back to use.

Screwtape likes this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

It's actually not a bad price for a "premium" handle and is the same as what Back Roads Gold was charging for their handle repair (replica tube) and replating.

Frijolero likes this.
  12. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

But how do you know they did not just drill enough for threading? But on the other hand, you are probably right because it would not make sense to create a 3 piece handle if you anyway make it solid. The whole thing is so confusing as they use the word "solid" in their description.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

Until someone gets one and takes it apart or Matt releases a YouTube video, we'll just have to take their word on it being "solid". My guess would be that RE went that route either to produce a more hefty handle or to distance themselves from the stigma of the tubing failures of the original. It may also make the threading process easier to start with a solid piece.

14. Weasel640

I took the "solid" to mean that the tube was solid Brass, in opposed to any other material...

Screwtape and Frijolero like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Mine is scheduled to arrive Thursday. I am excited to see what it is, too.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks real nice ... I also like the one PPA makes

safety-razors-304-stainless-steel-bomb-tip-handle-2-sizes-1_x700.jpg

Even better .... both are made in USA.

:eatdrink013:

17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Not usually one to go messing with the vintage stuff by popping new things on it, but this does sound cool. I don't really need one, but then again, what's the worst that could happen?

18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Bomb Tip looks like a Gillette Ball end handle(sort of) but if you put them side by side the proportions are way different. Maybe Jeff @jmudrick can snap a quick pic.

Frijolero likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Quite honestly I think the Razor Emporium's is far superior in quality and looks (for $25 a great value). As to weight; later Tech razors used solid handles. I think the worry of balance, was never a concern of Gillette. Lets face facts .... it's a three to four inch razor not a throwing knife or gun. :D

:eatdrink013:

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well... with Gillette's $5 razors they mostly did go to the trouble to balance properly--Single/Double Ring, New Improved, and New Deluxe do have perfect balance.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018