New Guy

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Robert1955, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Hi to everyone, new to the forum , but at 63 years old i'm not new to shaving, shaving has always been a unwelcome chore to me, I started at around 16 yrs old using my fathers de razor, as the years went on I tried electric shavers which I found to be useless..and eventually onto cartridge blades, when these went onto double blades then 5 blades I thought a 25 bladed cartridge about 3 inches long was just around the corner..all it would take was a single swipe and half your face would be done... Anyway, stupid costs and unsatisfactory results made me think back to the old de razors.
    Having done some research I found about shavettes and thought I would try them, after my first attempt I was quite satisfied and disregarded the blood loss as part and parcel of the learning curve...this has been true to some degree, My technique has slowly improved and I now know the errors and TRY to avoid them, some bits I struggled with are the usual moustache and chin areas..I decided to buy the cheapest de razor I could find to do these bits until I master the shavette, it was a good move, the wee de does a fantastic job. As I am on a bit of a rant..I may as well continue and say that probably the most important thing I have learnt that I never done before is "prep" what a difference it has made for me, I bought a decent brush, proraso pre shave cream and red proraso soap, I now look forward to a mostly pain free shave even tho there can still be some small cuts/nicks.

Robert.

2. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome from Maryland!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Robert1955 likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Robert1955
    Pretty soon you'll learn there is so much more to shaving than simply "pain free".

Hodge, RyX and Robert1955 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Robert1955 likes this.
  5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama...........the Heart of Dixie. You are at the right place.

Robert1955 likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Robert @Robert1955! Glad you joined us and I hope we can assist you to a more comfortable shave. This is your own personal thread so feel free to ask questions! Plenty of knowledgeable folks around to offer advice, opinions, even actual information.

I saw you had posted in a PIF by Joseph @Primotenore. There are some Rules about them. The person giving away free gear has to pay shipping. Other than that, the giver can make up rules and have folks jump through internet hoops to qualify for the drawing. They can even selectively choose from the entrants if they wish. Since you are U.K. based there's an informal relationship you might look into - A CONUS Buddy. That lets you participate in PIFs and should you win, the prize can be shipped to your buddy here in The States. Then you and him can arrange the rest of the shipping between y'all. There are some products available to you that us Yanks (thought I'm a South Coast 'Merican) might find difficult to purchase. Swapping is fun!

wristwatchb, Briscoe and Robert1955 like this.
  7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome aboard!

Robert1955 likes this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome, Robert. TSD is a great place for ranting. Glad you joined us.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Robert1955 likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Welcome Robert!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Robert1955 likes this.
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs046:

Robert1955 likes this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Robert1955 likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

very cool..many like the proraso pre shave and many don t think its needed. i like and use proraso pre shave..its part of an enjoyable process. hello and welcome..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Robert1955 likes this.
  13. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

hello and welcome from belgium :)

Robert1955 likes this.
  14. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Nevada.

Robert1955 likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

Robert1955 likes this.
  16. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Welcome from the Florida Keys

Robert1955 likes this.
  17. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Welcome!

Robert1955 likes this.
  18. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Robert1955 likes this.
  19. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    If anyone sees something over here in UK I have no problem getting it for you, tho I think you have better selection in USA, are there any other British members here, well Scottish coz that is my Country.

Robert.

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!