New Guys SR Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Redfisher, Jan 2, 2017.

1. George X

George X Well-Known Member

For me the bark and the bite were simultaneous. I am traveling for work and using a Parker travel DE with a shark blade. I get a smooth shave that lasts the better part of the day, but by dinner time I feel like I could shave again. Since I spent 4 straight days using my SR before this trip I can say...I miss using my SR and I am not that good with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twhite, Keithmax, Redfisher and 5 others like this.
  2. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Redfisher and Billyfergie like this.
  3. leitmotiv

leitmotiv Well-Known Member

I've only just recently jumped into SRs, but have been using DE for a number of years now. I think some of the techniques you learn with the DE help with using a SR.

My first pair of SRs were "Sight Unseen Flawed" razors from Whipped Dog which I got along with his poor mans strop kit and an extra poor mans strop all for a pretty good price. It was nice to not drop a lot of money into the gear before I knowing if I would enjoy it.

twhite, Keithmax, Redfisher and 3 others like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Wise decision. :happy088:
    My only other comment would be "Give it time..."

While DE shaving is fairly intuitive and relatively easy to master, straight razor shaving takes time, practice and patience.

I almost bailed out from SR shaving after a month's worth of mediocre shaves. A experienced SR shaver told me "..to hang in there, it only gets better!"
    Best decision I ever made (shaving-wise) was to stick with it. Over the past 3-4 years, I've had some of the best shaves of my life...all with an SR.

Jayaruh, dustmite, twhite and 9 others like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Besides they also make better photos :D

6. leitmotiv

Like a new job... :p

twhite, Billyfergie and Redfisher like this.
  7. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

My neck and I might start fighting soon. I can get my face smooth as silk, but my neck is smooth north to south, and velcro east to west. Getting better each time, but I'm trying different ways of attack to see what works best. I stropped again mid shave and it made a very slight difference.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

twhite, Billyfergie, George X and 4 others like this.
  8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I had good luck today. Each pass is easier than the first. What I mean is after the first there are less whiskers so the razor glides easier. I'm only mentioning this because some are stopping after the first pass. Go ahead and try the second one if that's the case. You might be surprised.

IMG_1581.JPG

Jayaruh, twhite, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  9. George X

[​IMG]
    Today was a first. I have jumped from two hand novice to journeyman and did 3 full passes with the only touch up with a DE around the neck. Still need to work on angles.
    It's true when they say stick with it as it gets better. I look forward to more experience as today was good, not the greatest shave of my life, but good and the future is bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh, DaltonGang, twhite and 8 others like this.
  10. leitmotiv

My weekend shaves were pretty revealing and enjoyable. :)

I eliminated the pre-shave from my routine to see what if any difference it made and I was pleasantly surprised to find the shaves were just fine without it. I also adjusted my shave a bit by going over an area fewer times in my initial pass. I had been using the razor like a paint scraper to work what I perceived as whiskers until I thought they might be gone and than move on to another area. Typically I would go three to five times over an area before I felt I had eliminated what I could. This weekend I focused on not making that many passes and tried to ignore the feeling that it wasn't getting the job done with just one or two passes. As it turns out the shaves were at least as good, but with razor burn almost imperceptible. I didn't feel the need to run the alum over my face, but I did so anyhow and the sting was very mild.

Seems like a win on the technique front! :cool:

I'll be visiting family for about a week coming up soon and I'm not sure yet if I'll have more time or less for shaving, but I plan to take my SR with me and try to get as many shaves with it as I can. It would be nice if I could get a five day focus on the SR...

I can dream, right? :D

DaltonGang, twhite, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  11. George X

I've been traveling for work and had to use my travel DE. I got home yesterday and was looking forward to my SR today but I got a call from my sister saying my dad was in the hospital and having surgery today...so I am back at the airport with no SR.

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I hope everything turns out ok with your dad.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DaltonGang, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Praying for your father.

Spyder, George X and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I hope things go well with your dad. Travel safely.

Spyder and George X like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thought I would put a post on this thread since I am new to SR shaving. This was my fifth shave. I'm having trouble under the jaw line, but I am getting good shaves. I still have to do touch ups with a safety razor though.
    sod170126.JPG

Drygulch, twhite, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Under the chin is an odd area. Just relather, watch your blade angle, and approach it at different angles.

twhite, Jayaruh, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  17. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

This week has been a good week for me on the straight front. Got honing down and am getting consistent results, and positive ones for once. On the actual shave side things are looking up as well. It's usually said that one becomes proficient with a straight after 100 shaves. For me it's taken about 320, as I finally figured out why that one spot on my neck was constantly irritated, the culprit being poor angle. I guess I'm a just a slow learner. @George X, I hope all is well with your Dad.

Billyfergie, Drygulch, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  18. leitmotiv

I received my two new SRs the other day and took a goofy pic of them at work. The idea of the pic worked better in my head. :(

I can't wait to give them a try after I finish this months focus with my other SR. I need to put the blade of the EA up against a flat surface to check the edge. I think it may not be perfectly straight and have a bit of a wave to it that isn't visible in the pictures. If so, then it has a very slight frown, which could pose a challenge when shaving.

IMG_1272.JPG

ninjack, Jim99, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I hope all turn out well with you dad. My thoughts are with you.

Billyfergie, George X and Spyder like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Friday

I did two passes the Genco Straight which gave me a shave I could get by with, but I did a clean-up pass with the Enders Speed Shaver. I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. No cuts. That completes shave number six with a straight.

Billyfergie, Drygulch, Spyder and 3 others like this.