NEW handle options

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark83, Oct 12, 2018.

1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

So, I didn't shave today because I shave every other day. But I keep picking up my newly weighted NEW and I think I may have overdone the putty. It's pretty heavy. I'll wait to actually shave with it tomorrow for the final verdict but I'm a little concerned that it's too heavy for its diminutive stature. My favorite handles are two Ikon Bulldogs. One 80 mm and the other 85 mm. The 80 mm is closest in size and weight to the Common Bar handle of the NEW but the Ikon is thicker, the knurling is deeper making grip better and it is slightly lighter than the Common Bar handle with the putty in it. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Screwtape, Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm yeah ..would be too heavy for me.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Maggard Razors has a large selection of handles, mostly SS.

Herm

Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

RyX, Screwtape, Douglas Carey and 3 others like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

RyX, Screwtape, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

FWIW the lovely Karve handle fits perfectly the Long Comb but will not fit snugly on the Short Comb (without a washer anyway). If I had a gold LC it would be my first choice. Shame about the red brass caps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Screwtape, ajc347, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have this Maggard Handle. I like the curved style, the fact that it's stainless and it's fairly heavy. [​IMG]

Herm

RyX, brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

IMG_0158-2.JPG
    From a Durham Duplex.

Jorvaljr, Jayaruh, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Also ...
    Maggard-Razors-MR15-Polished-Stainless-Hexagonal-Hex-Handle-with-V3-Head.jpg

Herm2502, Jorvaljr, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very nice looking handle Herm. :happy096:

Herm2502 likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

RyX, Screwtape and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

These handles work perfectly for me on all my razor heads. Old and new.

RyX likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I understand that balance isn't a factor for everyone which is why I said "if...you want traditional balance point""...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Screwtape and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thanks, Enrico. I have a New LC razor with a very nice non-Gillette handle on it. It's a perfect combination and I was going nuts trying to figure out what razor the handle came from. Then I saw your photo of it...

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You see a lot of Gillettes with the Durham handle, obviously a lot of shavers in the day adopted it over the lightweight stock handles.

Screwtape, brit and Linuxguile like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I could see choosing one of these Vintage Collection handles & having it nickle plated same time as the NEW LC cap & base plate.

Screwtape and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

So, today I finally shaved with the extra ounce of tungsten putty in the handle. I did find it to be a little heavier than ideal but I got a great shave from the sucker anyway. I think I could get used to the extra weight but the verdict on that will be reserved until I have several shaves with it. And I much prefer it having the weight it has now to how light it was before.

Screwtape, ajc347, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  20. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

If you're looking for some low cost options then Yaqi brass and Razorock stainless handles fit very nicely.

If you can track down a Blackland Dart handle they work very nicely as well. :)