New Lapping Plate Test CKTG

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Jun 8, 2020.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    So I finally gave up trying to find a 5k Chosera / Professional used out there and bought a new one from Chef's Knives to Go.

I also ordered a new 12k Super Stone for a FB friend to make him a stand (Dai) for it since he doesn't have the ability to make one.

But the real snag was the CKTG lapping plate for $35ish

It is 8x2.75 inches and two-sided 400 vs 1000

There was some negative feedback about it not being Straight/Flat so the first thing I did was to check it with a Straight Edge, I found this one to be dead flat so I am moving forward to more testing

Next up I have a Hunting Hatchet that could stand a touch-up so I will use it to knock off any High Diamonds before moving to test the Lapping abilities

Stay Tuned

[​IMG]

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A friend has one of those and loves it. I’m looking forward to your thoughts Glen.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

What does CKTG stand for??

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Chef knives to go

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yep, vendor’s name/acronym. Mark Richmond, good folks there.

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Ok first impressions

I sharpened my Small Hatchet that is in my hunting pack and my Meat Cleaver, used both sides on both tools
    Worked fine and pretty fast :)

Now to what we want to know, on lapping

Plus:
    Fast
    Flat
    Priced Right

Minus: Mostly Personal Opinion
    Hard to use on TOP on the Hone
    I was surprised that the Diamond Pattern didn't seem to help the sticktion to the hones
    Seems more aggressive than the Grit rating

All in All, for $35 I think it is a perfectly usable tool and it will stay on my honing bench, I might figure out how to use it better just like I did my DMT's and my Shapton DGLP
    It will, of course, depend on how the plate holds up..

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you for the review Glen, please let us know how it ages. A friend has had one for a short while (several months) and it’s holding up well. He said that he agrees with you about the grit.