New Life to an Old Lens

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Redrock, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I purchased a Sony A5000 mirror less camera a few months age. Since, it was "obsolete" (A6000 was released), I was able to get a good deal. The camera came with an auto-focus F3.5-5.6/16-50mm lens. I ran across info on the Inet where folks were purchasing "old glass" and mounting the lens on the modern mirror less cameras with great results.

The lens mounted on my camera is a Minolta Rokkor f1.4 to f16 58mm using a K&F Concepts adapter. The old lens is from the manual focus SLR days and was build in the late 60s/early 70s; therefore, the camera's auto focus and electrical connections are absent. These old lens are readily available at decent prices.

Like the old days you focus manually, set the desired F-stop, set the ISO and fire away. Real retro and fun to use. Although the modern cameras allow manual over-ride, it is neat to go back to setting the f-stop to play with the depth-of-field/shutter speed/ISO with an old metal and glass lens.

Adapt1.JPG Adapt2.JPG

SharptoothC, Tdmsu, Jayaruh and 8 others like this.
  2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I wish that I could use my old Minolta lens with my DSLR. I got so used to manually focusing that when I switched to the DSLR, I couldn't understand how to use it at first due to the lack of a focus screen. That's cool that you were able to recycle your lens.

Sony makes incredible mirrorless cameras. Would be interesting to see some of your work with that camera and particular setup.

Redrock, Douglas Carey and Keithmax like this.
  3. Redrock

Although it will be a few months, I will be vacationing in Olympic NP, Mt. Rainier NP, and Yellowstone NP. I plan to do lots of landscape shots. One of the drawbacks is that while the post-picture file IDs the shutter speed and ISO, it does not ID the F-stop used. Generally, I will be doing landscapes in the F8 or so range. Not really a big deal but I like to see all of the post-picture data. And, yes the Sony mirror less cameras are pretty impressive. A big bang in a small and relatively inexpensive package.

Douglas Carey and Demidog like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

That's great. I know nothing about cameras.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Redrock and Demidog like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I bought a Minolta SRT 101 when I was in Vietnam. It was a great camera. It had that lens on it. It is a very nice lens.

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Had that same camera in high school photo club. First SLR I learned to use.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. Redrock

These old lens weigh a ton (seems like). This is when they were made of metal. This lens is is pretty amazing the for its age. No scratches, dings, or dents. No dust inside the lens. The focus is creamy smooth. Positive clicks on the F-Stop ring. Original lens caps. I am taking it on vacation out West this fall. Just hope my skills, or lack of, can make this old lens live up to its reputation.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I loved that camera.

9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Cool!
    My Pentax K-01 (all Pentax, really) can use any old lens that will adapt to it. I love using my 50 year old 50mm f1.2 lens.
    Does the Sony offer focus peaking? Mine highlights areas of the shot that are in focus - a boon to my old eyes!

10. Redrock

Yes. It has focus peaking. Sets to high, medium. and low in white, yellow, or red highlighting depending on the situation. A very nice feature.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I use several old lenses. For sharpness (compared to lenses of the same era) it is hard to beat Pentax glass. For creamy bokeh, I love old CZJ and Meyer lenses.

Fortunately I bought my lenses already years ago (when a CZJ Zebra Sonnar 135/3.5 still went for €10) because prices have skyrocketed since mirrorless camera users have found out about the secret.

On that note, I gave away my Pentacon lenses for free, because they were rubbish (compared to the lenses they copied). Nowadays they easily go for €15 or more! (much more for the Pentacon tele lenses).

Have fun! Btw, 55mm is a great portraits focal length on APS-C cameras. The Pentax SMC Takumar 55/1.8 is one of my favourites. The Zeiss Biotar is fun too (but with a bit weird rendering).