New Member and my return to DE shaving

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by william beer, Feb 1, 2018.

1. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Hi folks. I'm new to this site but I have gotten some good direction from the experienced wet shavers out there. Thank you thank you. I finally got fed up with my cartridge razor for all the reasons that you can imagine. Look, I'm not a young guy and I thought I knew all I needed to know about wet shaving. Wrong! So, I went looking for my old DE Gillette adjustable (1964 vintage). I don't know the model because I discovered that it was discarded sometime in the distant past. Bet that scenario sounds familiar to some! Also, my old Old Spice shave mug was tossed out too. The only thing I had left (and don't ask why it survived the "purge") was my Model 750 EverReady shave brush. The Badger hair was in very bad shape so I viewed an online tutorial and then replaced the old knot with a new one from The Golden Nib. Looks marvelous and works beautifully too. I then went shopping for vintage Gillette DE razors. Piked up a 1934-35 New and a 1946-47 Aristocrat both in excellent condition (after I used some elbow grease) for under $25 total. Thought they looked cool. Bought some Barrister and Mann Seville soap and Proraso green after shave. Then rediscovered razor burn - but and incredibly close shave with the Gillette New. Did three shaves with New and three with the "Crat". Tonight I used some Noxema as a preshave and lathered up right over top of it. Narry a nick and no skin irritation with the Coat.

I've discovered that the 1934-35 New really is efficient and will give me a bbs result with thee passes but since I have sensitive skin got the razor burn....I think if I improve my technique a little.... The Aristocrat can give me bbs results but it takes me 3 passes plus touch ups here and there but very little or no burn (as long as I use the Noxema). Next shave will be with the New and the Noxema. Now let's see how that turns out! Oh, by the way, I was using Astra Superior Platinum blades. The bad news is in addition to sensitive skin I have a tough beard and it grows very fast. I get maybe 3 good shaves per blade and can possibly stretch it to 4 but why do that? Each new shave is an adventure but as was said in the movies, "every day and in every way I'm getting better and better" Ha ha. The very best to all of you.

brit, 178-bplatoon, AGHisBBS and 14 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

9nein9 likes this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Awesome pickups on your razors! Welcome!!

BamaT and 9nein9 like this.
  4. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I read your post and I hear where you are coming from. I started out with 3 passes and trying to get BBS but the irritation wasn't worth it. Now I do 2 passes . 1 wtg and 1 xtg and as my techniques are improving , I'm getting close to BBS in 2 passes with a Chinese shaverboy blade . My hair is hard and my skin sensitive as heck so it's not worth it to scrape any more than necessary. I've been using same razor , soap, brush and blade type for a week now to learn the proper technique and so far it's been great . Everybody is different so what works for one guy may not work for another . I hope I was of some help to you . And lastly ... Welcome to the shave den ..... Wishing you many great shaves . Great bunch of guys on here ...... Patrick

william beer and sdguero like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Those are two of Gillette's best razors you have there. One a three piece and the other a TTO. Glad to have you here, @william beer .
    zwelcome2b.jpg

9nein9 likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @william beer! Glad you joined us here a TSD. This is your own personal thread right here. Feel free to ask question. Lots of friendly knowledgeable folks will be along with opinion, advice, even actual information.
    Take a moment and sign up for The Newbie Giveaway? It's a chance at some internet credits for shave products, and a vintage Gillette razor donated by sponsoring vendors and a generous member. Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

9nein9 likes this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

9nein9 likes this.
  8. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

9nein9 likes this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! I could sorta relate to your story. I have no idea what happened to my dad’s and granddads’ old razors and other shave gear, but I’m betting it was tossed at some point. I began shaving just as the Gillette Trac II had come out, so I never had my own DE until I got into traditional wet shaving a few years back. I also use Astra SP’s and like them.

MR41 and 9nein9 like this.
  10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Welcome back - (John Benson Sebastian)

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out
    Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about
    Well the names have all changed since you hung around
    But those dreams have remained and they've turned around
    Who'd have thought they'd lead ya
    (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
    Back here where we need ya
    (Back here where we need ya)
    Yeah we tease him a lot 'cause we got him on the spot
    Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
    Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
    We always could spot a friend, welcome back
    And I smile when I think how you must have been
    And I know what a scene you were learning in
    Was there something that made you come back again
    And what could ever lead ya
    (What could ever lead ya)
    Welcome back, welcome back
    And I know what a scene you were learning in
    Was there something that made you come back again
    And what could ever lead ya
    (What could ever lead ya)
    Welcome back, welcome back
    Yeah we tease him a lot, welcome back, welcome back
    Cause we got him on the spot, welcome back, welcome back

AGHisBBS and 9nein9 like this.
  11. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.

9nein9 likes this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

9nein9 likes this.
  13. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den
    :signs046:

9nein9 likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

9nein9 likes this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

William, welcome to The Shave Den!

9nein9 likes this.
  16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome!

9nein9 likes this.
  17. william beer

Thanks to all for your support. This is fun!

9nein9 likes this.
  18. william beer

Thanks for your comments Patrick

9nein9 likes this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!