New member from Florida

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by BIllyBowlegs, Jan 1, 2014.

1. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

Just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I have been exploring several forums about wet shaving for awhile now and have finally decided to start with a DE. I am awaiting my first razor (Gillette Super speed), and hope to be shaving with it soon. I am still a bit intimidated as I have only ever used cartridges, but thanks to all the information online, I feel relatively confident in trying this out. Can't wait to post my first experience...I think.

Best Regards,
    GB

178-bplatoon and macaronus like this.
  2. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome to The Shave Den!

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den. Take your time, enjoy your shave. I know that sounds strange, but shaving has gone from a hassle, to complete enjoyment. Now if I can get my whiskers to grow faster..

Cool Breeze likes this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

:signs046:What part of Florida? I'm in Tampa.

5. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Welcome and I think you'll find this place to be very welcome and hospitable. Let us know how that first shave works. What kind of soap/cream are you working with? Blades?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

:signs046:to the Den!

7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Welcome, Im in P.C. !

8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi BillyBowlegs and welcome to TSD! Happy Shavings!

9. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Welcome BillyBowlegs!!! Don't be intimidated by a DE. My first shave with one was Dec 26th and I was afraid until about 30 seconds into the shave. I didn't think I was cutting any wiskers at all but I felt and it was smooth as ever on the first pass. Good luck and maybe check out some videos on youtube if you haven't yet. That and lurking on forums is how I figured out what to do/expect.

macaronus likes this.
  10. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

:signs046:. Theres nothing to be intimidated by a DE especially such a mild one as a super speed. I think I'd be more intimidated by Gillettes newest battery powered 5 blade shaver. Remember- its called a safety razor for a reason. Just remember no pressure and you should do fine. I take it you've seen mantic59's youtube videos?

macaronus and jpb437 like this.
  11. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

+1 to Mantic59's Youtube channel. I watched nearly every video before I even bought a DE razor.

macaronus likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

13. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "GB"..........I hope you enjoy it here.....:)

You've picked a "GREAT" way to start off your New Year by taking up "traditional" shaving...:happy088: All of us here understand just how you feel,excited but a little leary...Don't worry just take your time (Absolutely no reason to rush), start slow and gentle,concentrate on your technique and everything will come into place with time..Something that helped me when I started was DON'T try for a BBS in the beginning, rather go for an irritation/nick free shave..With time and practice the BBS's will come, don't chase them just let it happen naturally..

You've picked a good starter razor with the SuperSpeed, you might want to put a Gillette Fat Handle tech on your list also...The Fat Handle will give to a shave comperable to the SuperSpeed, but in a 3 piece design...Also you'll want to get as large a blade sample pack as you can afford...The more different blades you can try the better and it's also nice having extra blades you don't use alot to try with other razors, to see how the combo's work together...

Also if your starting with no equipment, you can get a VDH shave kit(brush,bowl and puck of Delux soap) for pretty cheap locally, as well as store branded Personna(ASR) and Wilkinson Sword blades.....If the pack says made in Korea then there most likely Dorco, not my favorite however "YMMV"... Since they will still be cheap get a pack of those also, they may work well on your face...If you'd prefer to try a shave cream instead of soap, C.O. Bigalow is a good locally available one(MUCH better then creamo I.M.O.)

GOOD LUCK and welcome to the addiction "errrrr" hobby I mean..;)

macaronus and fram773 like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den!

16. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Greetings and welcome to the Den.

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you.

My mom lives in Tampa and hopefully I'll be living there in a couple years.

19. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Welcome from Virginia. I believe you will enjoy the DE shaving.

20. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

Near Orlando, Currently a student at UCF