New member from Virginia

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Sontag, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

First post here.

I live in Blue Ridge, Virginia (15 minutes east of downtown Roanoke) and on our farm in Sontag, Virginia (10 minutes south of Rocky Mount). I work in sales, and travel throughout Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee for my job. Besides hunting for and trying old razors, I enjoy riding dirt bikes & ATVs, collecting and shooting all kind of firearms, and of course spending time with my family.

I guess I've been a "wet shaver" for years since I shave in the shower, and I've tried about every kind of disposable razor while searching for the best shave. On 7/21/13 I got my first Gillete safety razor, which my dad bought for me at an antique mall. (Pictured in the bottom row, middle razor) I must admit I now have a razor problem, and this place looks like a great support group! I've really enjoyed checking out local antique stores and trying different razors.

I've already read and learned a lot here, so I would like to say thanks to all for the great info shared here.

Here's my collection so far:

[​IMG]

2. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD! You sound a lot like me, I have had a CR125 and KX125 and grew up riding 4 stroke honda XR bikes. I have a couple nice firearms as well. Great collection of vintage razors, the bottom right corner Gillette 'New' is one of my favorite vintage razors of all time...excellent shaver. You're in the right place, a lot of great people and information here.

3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here.

4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

:signs046:to the Den Sontag! I'm also from Virginia and live in Gloucester county. I see you've already got a very nice collection going on.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Sontag.........I hope you enjoy it here....:)

The first two razors on the bottom row are Gillette "Ball End" techs, on the top row is a black handle "Flair Tip" SuperSpeed, a Slim adjustable and a 40's-50 SuperSpeed depending on if it has a date code..If you look at the underside of those top razors and possibly the two "Ball End" techs if they are post 1950 you should see a letter(A-Z) and number(1-4) on the blade pans that will tell you the year and month of manufactor. No date code on the top SuperSpeed makes it pre 1950's, they came out in 1947 replacing the Senators at least in name...I hope the info interests you some....:shaver

6. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

Eddie, I appreciate the info. One of the reasons I read and then joined the forum was to learn more about the razors I have, as well as others and wet shaving in general. My Ball End techs do not have date codes. The other 3 piece is either a 1934 Red & Black 52g, or a 1934 Red & Black DeLuxe 57g. The date code on the Flair Tip is U4, and the date code on the adjustable is N4; the SuperSpeed does not have a date code.

I have shaved with them all, except for the Ball End on the left; it is the only one I have that really needs refinishing. I'm thinking about having it reconditioned, but I haven't decided on a finish yet. The "Red and Black" 3 piece is the best shaver in the bunch.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Thanks, Steve.

I knew I actually signed up last month and assumed I couldn't enter until I read the rule regarding sign ups on the last day of the month.

I appreciate the head's up!

9. snatale42

snatale42 New Member

Welcome, I'm new here too this place is great. I'm also in VA (Henrico Co).

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome aboard! :)

11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Greetings and welcome to the Den. Nice collection of razors.

12. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Thanks again, guys.

Seems like a lot of good people AND info here.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

Bedford (20 minutes West of Blue Ridge) is the birthplace of all things TSD. :happy088:

14. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Wow, it's a small world! I go to Lynchburg on business about once a week.

I was in Bedford yesterday; matter of fact, I stopped at the antique mall on 460 and bought a razor and some blades.

15. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Welcome Sontag, nice photo of your gear. I'm enjoying this forum so I hope you also get a ton of fun and use from it.:)

16. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome to the Shave Den! Nice photo!