new or original scales

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by straighten up, Mar 3, 2023.

1. straighten up

straighten up New Member

I have a friend who just takes the scales off every razor he gets to put new ones on it. that's fine. I prefer that too. but I also prefer, older scales even if they are in rough shape, just not too rough.

I'm probably not in the correct forum I have posted in the wrong place before. if I am doing that I am sorry. I'm just curious what the people prefer from your experience. anyone who restores and sells them

I am aware there is no certain answer. whatever question I ask I will be asking generally

thanks to everyone for replying. I am always going to check to see if anybody replied but it may not always be prompt. I don't get around so good.

Karl G and Enrico like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Have your friend send me all the ivory and tortoise. I’ll pay the postage.

gssixgun, Karl G and Enrico like this.
  3. straighten up

straighten up New Member

that's kind of what we were discussing. I would rather have a chipped set of ivory than a flawless set of cocobolo.

I was just trying to get an idea of the value. would somebody pay more for chipped ivory or new wood ones?.

I know it varies and there's a lot of variables that's why I just asked for a general opinion what people think. though the old ones away or salvage all the old ones you can? I vote save all you can

I don't think he would throw anything valuable or usable away because I asked him why he doesn't save them in case he gets another one and he said he would have to pull a bunch of boxes out from under a cabinet LOL. I got his point.

I'm surprised, I learn a bunch of new stuff, find a different forum, Facebook page, some product some article something, and off I go LOL but I am surprised that with everything I've seen there is no one selling used to scales. I see new ones advertised. who knows? not me, I try not to know too much
    thank you

Karl G likes this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

No telling, it’s just personal preference. A lot of people are obsessed with perfection, OCD.

Ivory doesn’t really chip, short of maybe high impact damage. The most common problem are cracks around the pins. Sometimes a blade will hit the scales, but that’s not a chip and is a fixable problem.

straighten up and Karl G like this.