New R41 Head

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lancre, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Mail call included a Muhle R41 head from Maggards.

Now I have to decide what handle to try it out on. I've got an Ikon 90mm, a Merkur 23C, Maggard MR5, MR8, and MR11, and a long, heavy generic barber pole to choose from.

Suggestions, anyone?

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Durham Duplex!

5. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

See post #3 :D

6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

From the ones you listed, I would go with the MR8, or MR11, but of course you will have to try both! :happy088:

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Pick your favorite and use it....

I simplified things a long time ago and only use a Weber Bulldog on all my 3 piece heads. It gives me consistency of weight, length, and general shave feel regardless of razor head.

Primotenore likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I like the heavy handles when I use my R41. Its all taste though, grab one and if you still have your head attached at the end of the shave, you chose well enough :)

9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Of course! It was just a question of which to try FIRST!

10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Hmm...The heaviest is the MR8.

11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

My vote goes for the long, heavy, generic barber pole.

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Exclusively a Weber Bulldog on my 2011 and 2013 R41.

14. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

First off, thanks for your advice and opinions.

Well, I received the MR 8 handle at the same time as the R41 head. So I decided to go with the MR5 handle for the first shave with this head. I've had the MR5 for a while now, so the only thing I was changing was the head. I'll try it with the MR8 next week.

Head: Muhle R41
    Handle: Maggard MR5
    Blade: Derby Extra
    Soap: Catie's Bubbles "A Midnight Dreary"
    Brush: Semogue 830
    AS: Dickinson's WH and Nivea Sensitive Balm

First impressions:
    I went into this shave expecting a tiger of a razor based on reputation. Instead, I found a pussycat. A mostly comfortable BBS shave. The only place that felt slightly aggressive was on N-S pass just under my jaw. S-N in that area felt very mild.

The R41 felt much less aggressive than my Fendrihan MK. I and only minutely more aggressive than my Fendrihan MK. II. This is so out of line with what I've read here that I wonder if I got a "defective" R41 (shrug). We'll see if that impression lasts after I've tried it with a few other handles and blades.

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I think that you will find that when speaking of the R 41 and it’s aggressiveness, most are referring to the 2011 version. The blade exposure was larger and was redesigned for 2013 - present. That you had an easy shave with the 2013 is certainly a testament to your technique.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  16. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Kind of like the Derby Extra redesign in 2016? That might explain it, but the 2013 version is the only one available new today. It's a nice shave nonetheless, and at $16.95 I couldn't resist.

17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, the 2011 is the one I have and it will let you know how your technique is doing for certain. I never get the most comfortable shave while I'm shaving with it but the post shave faceturbation is better than any other razor I own.

Keithmax and stingraysrock like this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

This link likely includes the Sabi T1 handle that I use on my 2011 R41 head:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FHIKU46/?tag=thshde-20

I have a BRW handle in nickel that the above linked handle was probably copied from, but I don't use the BRW handle because the linked handle matches the chrome on the R41.

Keithmax and battle.munky like this.