New razor bad shave

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Robert Shettles, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Robert Shettles

Robert Shettles New Member

So im pretty new to straight razor shaving my face. I have been shaking with a shavette that I got from Sally's beauty supply and I beat a really nice shade out of it. Recently I got a Dovo full hollow 5/8 straight razor, along with dinne col conk bay rum shave some and a strop for Christmas. I stropped the blade several times but it still hurts to shave with. They said they had it honed at the online store. What am I doing wrong.

2. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Did you hone it or have it professionally honed? If not, that's your main problem. Buying a shave ready razor doesn't necessarily mean its ready to use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keithmax, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

Robert Shettles likes this.
  4. Newcreature

Newcreature Member

Also watch your Angle it is different with a straight than a shavette,

Robert Shettles and brit like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As Briscoe said, "shave ready" dovo razors seldom are actually shave ready. Even premium brands like Thiers Issard don't come shave ready.

Unless you are experienced at honing, it's best to send your razor to an experienced honer like @gssixgun (depending on where you live). Most countries have at least one forum recommended honer.

Art of Shaving stores routinely sell "shave ready" Dovo razors that are NOT shave ready. I'm not saying Dovo makes a bad razor, quite the contrary, they make a good razor.

Edit: even if it was honed at the store, the honer's skill or lack thereof makes a difference. What is shave ready for one person isn't necessarily shave ready for another. Hollow ground razors feel rough to me, no matter how well honed. Wedge blades are far more comfortable to use for my skin and beard type.

6. Robert Shettles

Yea I got it on Royalshave and I checked the box to have it honed.

7. Robert Shettles

Thanks

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and Welcome! As other have said, the razor probably was not shave ready and needs to be honed by a pro.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. Enjoy.

10. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD, enjoy! This is a good place with good folks.

11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Head over to the straight razor threads. There is a lot of information there and lots of advice.

It could be one of several issues. As mentioned it may not properly honed or you may have rolled the edge when you stroped the razor. When striping it is important to keeep the the edge and spine flat and just like shaving no pressure just the weight of the razor. Also keep the strop flat. How many passes do when you stroped it?

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome!

I haven't quite taken that plunge yet, so I can't add much. Do you happen to know exactly where it was bought?

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to TSD!

Make sure you check out the Straight Razor Master Sticky thread for links to some helpful info in getting started with straight razors.

RyX likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.
    Not every Straight feels the same, and beard types matter. . It might take a little time to become comfortable. Straights arent like other razors. A little pressure is needed in your strokes, and short strokes are better to start out, learning with. Also, i would suggest buying a couple, of nice looking ebay razors, not very expensive, and send them out, for a proper hone. This way, you will have a properly honed razor, and a few that stay sharp. You will probably ruin an edge, learning to hone your first bladeblade, so don't blame it on a poor hone. Plus, unfamiliarity with techniques will make a razor feel dull. Read read read up on techniques.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama! I have a few straights and I ain't about to chime in on that one. I'll leave that to the professionals.

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome, glad you're here!