New Razor, need Veteran assistance.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by FacialCarnage, Jan 17, 2013.

1. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I have been DE shaving for a few months now and am ready to move on do a different razor. I have found out the things that I like out of certain razors and would like to buy a *new* razor. Maybe Muhel, Merkur, EJ....one of there models. I would like to enlist the help of you veterans. I want a razor that is suitable for shaving every day of the week. I had heard that feather makes a great razor for people who have to shave daily, but that is out of my price range. Also I do not want something with an open comb or butterfly opening. Keep in mind that I am also still a Beginner. If you would be so kind as to drop a suggestion or two and why, me and my face would greatly appreciate it.

2. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

I would go with the Merkur Progress. If I was in the market for a new razor thats what I would get. Its a two piece razor that is also adjustable. With it being adjustable you can find the range that will allow you to shave with comfort everyday.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

+1 For the Progress :)

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Based on what you are saying I would recommend an Edwin Jagger 89lbl. I have the bl and while I don't like the handle(I've heard the lbl handle is better) the shave head is about the "Best" I've ever used. It's mild, efficient, user friendly and more than capable of delivering a BBS shave. You get one of the best 3 piece razors out there for a very reasonable cost. The Muhle 89 is basically the same razor, but usually costs more. Merkur does makes more models, but I still lean towards the EJ. For the price difference the EJ is I.M.O. a better deal than the Parker. I have a Parker 97R Hefty also, while I like the Parker handle better than the bl, I find the EJ head gives me a better,smoother shave of course "YMMV". If you'd like to step up "at least in price" some there is the Weber SS. I have one with the polished SS shave head,but other than being SS I don't find the shave any better than the EJ. The Weber BullDog and Wave handles are absolutely EXCELLENT especially for the price! Hope this helps you some.........:) If you have any other questions and I can help feel free to ask....

FacialCarnage likes this.
  5. FacialCarnage

That really helped, I will be doing some research into all of the ones listed. I wrote them all in my little sketch book with room for my own notes. I think architecture school has made me a little OCD about sketching and notes and basically just keeping a journal. While I have always done that, school required it.

If anyone else has any other suggestions based on what I listed, I'm all ears. Thanks Gents!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  6. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

i just picked up a EJ DE89811 yesterday. shaved with it this morning. excellent BBS shavewith 3 passes. 1 WTG 1 XTG and 1ATG with minor touch ups.

7. FacialCarnage

Isn't that one open comb?

8. FacialCarnage

Good call on the EJ 89lbl, this thing is beautiful. Checking out some reviews and a couple of the others you all suggested.

9. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

The Merkur Progress is a sensible call, since it is adaptable to all beard types. Beyond that, specific recommendations make no sense without knowing more about your beard type. For instance, I have the Edwin Jagger, and while it is a beautiful piece, it is just too mild to give this old, tough beard a decent shave without about 5 passes! For the next guy, it is the ideal razor.

I like the Weber, because it is more aggressive, and yet somehow treats your face with respect. Gillette NEW is similar. Intrigued by the new Cadet/Razorock types. These might all be too aggressive for a lighter beard.

So, you see the problem? What beard/skin type are you?

10. Heloguy

No. It's a CC. The same head as the Muhle 106,107. It had the chrome octagonal handle.
    I also have a Merkur 25. That one is an OC.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've been thinking about getting a DE89 myself.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Some great advice so far, so I'll just address what you wrote above - once you perfect your technique, there isn't a razor out there that you can't use everyday of the week.

By the way, why wouldn't you want an OC or TTO (what you called a butterfly)? Just curious, that's all.

13. FacialCarnage

I have very sensitive skin, but have to shave daily for work. My beard is not thick, but the hair is somewhat course. I want a razor that is closed comb, not a butterfly head, that is capable of getting a bbs shave, but not crazy aggresive and won't irritate my skin w/ daily shaves.

14. FacialCarnage

Not sure what those abbv. are, but I want 3 piece, not one that opens up and you place a razor inside. I'm sure you are correct that with technique any razor works, but what I'm asking for is suggestions for razors that have the things I prefer.

15. swarden43

16. Heloguy

OC=Open Comb
    CC=Closed Comb

17. FacialCarnage

Right on, thx bud. CC/TTO then!

18. swarden43

I see you did want a three-piece CC. A TTO is one piece.

19. FacialCarnage

Yessir!

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What razor(s) have you used so far?