New Razor Variant?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

The razor talked about in this thread finally arrived, and I 'm still not sure what it is. It is a Gillette, but it is a mixture of styles. It has an open comb like a New, but with pins (and short ones at that) like a New Improved. The case looks correct, but that doesn't mean that it is. Any ideas?

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

strange, I wonder if it is some sort of English Goodwill?

3. brothers

brothers Active Member

I've nothing to contribute except to say that's probably one of a kind.

4. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

It looks like it could be a Probak type head. That hole with the outward slot was part of their design. Probak eventually became a division of Gillette. Perhaps British Gillette did do a Goodwill mix and match type thing using leftover parts and cases.

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That's interesting Rick. Not one I've seen before.

6. tom myers

tom myers Member

Doesn't that right hand hole/slot look a little crude? It looks like the slot slopes down relative to the horizontal. The one on the left looks OK in that respect. This leads me to wonder if this wasn't something more or less experimental that they never did properly tool up for.

I certainly haven't seen anything like that on a Gillette before, but then I'm not all that familiar with the British Gillettes. The hole/slot actually looks more like the ones on a Star Model 100 than anything else that I've seen, but the Star had male pins that matched the slotted holes.

Regards,
    Tom

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  7. chimes13

chimes13 New Member

I picked this up recently, I swear I have another somewhere, just need to look...

[​IMG]

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

That's a good eye, Tom. It does look a little "off" compared to the one chimes13 has.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was going to say that it was the shape from the 100...

Fuzzy

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The Probak razors had the shapes on the comb plate and they fit up in to the top of the head.
    [​IMG]

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

Does it look like that in person? To my eye, it looks like the top of the slot on the right hole slopes down, but the bottom looks straight. I may be convincing myself, but the bottom of the left hole looks like it slopes up a little. If the same die were used to cut both holes, one would be an upside down version of the other.

I think a UK Goodwill is an excellent guess. Very nice!

12. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

It appears that these two guard plates are from totally different dies. Note the alignment of the top point of the Gillette diamond in the two pictures. The first one aligns perfectly with the center of the left hole. The second one is aligned to the right of center.

Then looking at the first "N" in ENGLAND you can see that once again it is centered with the right hole in the first picture and aligned to the right of center in the second.

What does this mean? No idea. But it's just something I noticed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]