New razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mike-R41, Aug 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Recently got a 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable and a Q-Shave (Futur Clone) happy to upgrade !!!

McCrae, brit, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very good selections! I enjoy both of those and use them at their highest setting. Some folks like to work their way up from low numbers.

Are you familiar with the peculiarities of the two tools? On the Gillette - the quarter turn lock down. After the doors are closed, just a little more and it's got some resistance. With the Futur clone - orientation of the cap to the base plate. There's two ways to click it on. The right way aligns and secures better than the other way.

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Congrats. I would be surprised if you don't really like it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hembree and Terry like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I know nothing of the Q-Shave. That Slim is a veddy nice shaving two sided thingie! Congrats!

brit, Hembree and Terry like this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

After a bit of research, I ordered the Oren razor. It arrived yesterday, and I’ll be having my first shave with it this morning. I’ve been interested in the AC razors, and apparently caught RAD here! Woe is me!!! I thought the Karve would be it, but apparently not! In any case her is a quick shot of it. The razor comes with three heads, a one dot, two dot and three dot, in order of increased aggressiveness. I switched to the one dot given my respect for feather blades, and my long history of shaving with a mild razor (Krona). Images will follow.

RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  6. jgreenepa

7. jgreenepa

Well folks, the shave did not go the way I hoped. It will definitely take time for me to get used to the Oren razor. Shaving with my Krona, and even my Karve is generally on autopilot. I'm very comfortable with the dimensions of the razor head, and can pretty much not think through the shave, if you know what I mean. The sheer size of the AC blade requires an equivalent adjustment in the size of the razor head, and it's big!! Huge, honkin' big! The AC crowd praises the area covered in each shaving stroke. I found the I wasn't able to shave around my beard as easily, given the size of the razor head size. It felt very awkward. I guess in time that should pass, but this morning it was an issue. In addition, I discovered that the one dot head did not give me the kind of close shave I was looking for. So after cleaning up the razor, I removed the one dot head and replaced it the the two dot that it arrived with. Should have just left it alone. Hopefully, the new head will not require the amount of buffing that this head did. On the positive side, those AC Feather Pro blades are sharp and the razor head is designed to avoid end knicking. So there were no weepers and no razor burn, despite a great deal of buffing. I generally shave every other day, but given the closeness of this shave, may need to shave again tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Great shaves to all,

Jeff

RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Jeff @ jgreenepa - If you'd like some coaching, there's a guy who's a member of The 30 Day Crew that uses one of these razors regularly. Check in at The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group (<- Link to page 1, feel free to read the 1st post then jump to the last page) and ask Clint @clint64 about the details.

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  9. jgreenepa

32737F31-1017-4D20-9F6C-A274DE19852F.jpeg 6F427CA9-805B-4823-A0B7-0AAAC9ACE302.jpeg I’m changing my opinion of AC razors. The Oren is definitely not for me and it seems my oldest son has no interest in it either, so it’s Ebay for it. It’s just too large and unwieldy for me. Someone on EBay who likes these razors is going to get a great deal.

But I received my RR green Hulk razor today, and it’s a peach! Nowhere near as bulky as the Oren, and easy to use. Shaving was effortless. It’s light (aluminum) and was on sale at IB. It plowed through two days growth with ease. The Kai pink blade was smooth and sharp. This is going in the rotation with the Karve. I’m keeping this one. Just ordered another for my son! There’s definitely something to these AC razors.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have that razor in the black. I think they called the Black Hawk. It is a fine razor. I really like it. I dubbed it the poor man's Mongoose. I love that green though. My favorite color.

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Jim:
    Do you know anyone who has the DLC coated Stainless version currently sold out at IB? I would be curious as to whether the increased weight of the steel razor impacted it's efficiency? My green Hulk shaved like a dream.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

brit likes this.