New soap containers

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I was having some difficulty with my tin soap containers starting to show signs of rust and corrosion (oldest was probably 5 months...and yes I did rotate my soaps and let them air dry before I put the lids back on)...so today I went out and purchased some Mason jars and transferred my soaps to these...and also bought the plastic covers. These bottles hold MWF, Tabac size pucks easily (with a little trimming around the edges).

Still not sure why my tins were showing signs of rusting...perhaps the various acids in the soaps?)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    preidy, JBSharp, PatrickA51 and 9 others like this.
  2. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

My Dr Jon's soap tins are rusting at the rim. I will need to move it over shortly or risk compromising the soap

3. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Could it be related to your blade, perhaps? ;)

Joke aside, what material tins are you using?

4. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Those jars look great, had not seen Ball jars that shape before. Will have to see if I can find some that height. Where did you find yours?

5. Rusty blade

I purchased mine at Walmart...they are Ball Jars...like Mason Jars. I have seen them in other stores as well.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. Rusty blade

Two of my tins were repurposed Sterling Soap tins and the other two were tins that I picked up at Canadian Tire...a hardware store. They seem solid enough but maybe the type of metal was not suited to liquids or the chemicals in soap. Not sure really...
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/kitch..._source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

7. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

JBSharp likes this.
  8. MObigfoot

MObigfoot Active Member

My Walmart has them I just purchased 4 of the Anchor-Hocking 1 cup microwavable glass containers with plastic lids. They will hold pucks the size of VDH, Col. Crooks, Dr Harris etc very nicely. 4 for $5 and change.

brit, PaPa K, JBSharp and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rusty blade

Thanks for the suggestion...I may order some of those online . We don't have an Ikea nearby.
    Yes...that was going to be my second choice. And yes, the Anchor Hocking dishes do stack better than the Mason Jars.

10. JR Reyes

Here is a quick shot of what they look like in action....
    [​IMG]

11. Rusty blade

That looks pretty neat. You have a nice set up there...well organized.

JR Reyes likes this.
  12. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

These are the ones I use as well, but the magnet annoys me a little; makes them less stackable. Otherwise they are great, and no rust issues.

JR Reyes likes this.
  13. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

I'd been considering those IKEA tins myself but I particularly like your organiser, really impressive, just the sort of thing I've been looking for. Am I right in thinking it's a repurposed pipe rack? It looks classic, you're probably tired of being asked but where did you find it?

Regards,
    Chris

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice rack.

Douglas Carey and JR Reyes like this.
  15. Rusty blade

If the Ikea ones are stainless then they should not rust at all. The one's I had (even the Stirling ones) I don't think are stainless...

16. JR Reyes

Not a problem and thanks for asking. It's not a repurposed pipe rack, it's a rack that I actually made myself. I had a nice little wood shed at my last house, and enjoyed making razor and brush displays. I'm going to be moving in a couple weeks, and plan on getting back into the hobby of making more soon. I appreciate the compliment.

17. JR Reyes

That's my Favorite compliment...LOL. I need to make that the brand or something.

twhite and Mustache like this.
  18. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Very nice set up JR!

JR Reyes likes this.
  19. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I also have noticed some minor rusting on a few of the metal tins I have, but my biggest problem with the tins are that it is hard to load the brush without making a mess either from the diameter or from the container being filled to the top.

20. Rusty blade

Yes, I know what you mean...I like tins that are larger than the soaps and allow space for some lather building.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.