New Soap from Cold River Soap Works

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jenky, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For that price, Art of Shaving cream might make more sense, at least for those people located in the US. Also very high quality and excellent scent quality, and can be made to last a long time.

The original post in that thread cited Proraso shaving cream as causing the clogged drain, hardly a North American artisan product. You do make a good point about overfatted soaps, though. Wetshavers often latch on to certain notions or fads, so overfatted good, not overfatted less good. When a little is good, more is not necessarily better.

Wow, that is good news! The Cyril R. Salter 100g shaving soap refill can also be purchased from Connaught Shaving for £4.00 ($5.17) each. Even with airmail shipping to the US, it is only £6.70 ($8.64). The shipping cost per puck would be even less if more than one was ordered.

https://connaughtshaving.com/crs100.html

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Frijolero, brit and Steve56 like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

AoS makes good creams, but they keep discontinuing what I like, rose absolute, ocean kelp.... their sandalwood is sublime if you like the funky, not sweet type. They used to make good hard soaps when they got them from Valobra, but that’s another story. AoS creams are English made, quite good, but are not as concentrated as CF and so are more pricey to use. Same for T&H, but I really like T&H scents, Grafton and Trafalgar are favorites.

Yep, that thread doesn’t reflect NA artisans, but as you note, the over-fatted phenomena isn’t unique. Some NA artisans are just absurd in the fat department, and I’ll bet that they spoil quickly. I have to say that I applaud the artisans - Pannacrema Nuavia comes to mind - to create an ‘all-in-one’ product, pre-shave, shaving soap, and AS/EdT in one tub. Pannacrema can do that but the scents are just too strong for me. But I applaud pushing the ‘envelope’ or boundaries. But extra fat may not be a good way to do it, individual complexions notwithstanding.

I’ll shave with my new Cyril Salter tomorrow, and hope that T&H follows suit with their lineup of fragrances in the hard soaps. I have an old sandalwood T&H puck that’s doing sachet duty in the clothes drawer. Sublime but expensive!

Shaver X, Frijolero and brit like this.
  3. oldcars

oldcars Member

I completely agree with everything you wrote!

brit and Frijolero like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

49ED5F8B-C70B-4BCD-8DB2-78411383C44A.jpeg

Had a good shave for peanuts this morning, and as promised, the soap was Cyril Salter tallow. The razor was the (in)famous Gold Dollar 66, about $3.40 from China with free shipping if you buy a 10 pack, otherwise about $4.50. Brush was a Plisson l’Occitane Provence synth that l’OP closed out at $12.99 I believe. The soap was Cyril Salter lavender hard tallow, $5.17 ex-VAT/100g at Connaught per the post above, and the AS was the always great Myrsol, which isn’t cheap in the crystal bottle, but you just buy one and refill it with $21/liter refills from G&C.

I like the Salter tallow, the lavender is a non-camphorous type and it performs well. If you’re looking for bang for the buck, a kilo of Cella for $19 from TVB is kind of hard to beat - that’s 2 years of soap, $10/year. It isn’t quite the soap that CRSW is, but there’s nothing wrong with it either.

Primotenore, BigMark83 and brit like this.
  5. Sniper1

Sniper1 Member

cold river soap works schapenmelk shave.jpg

I had an incredible shave this morning using CRSW Schapenmelk. I've been using this soap exclusively for the past month. The scent is excellent and not overpowering and I'm not getting tired of it which is unusual for me. I've been enjoying some of my best shaves to date. Without a doubt the BEST bargain in shave soap! The bath soap is also really nice. The bars are super hard and last forever. The lather like the shave soap is ultra creamy.

If you are looking for excellent value without any compromise in performance or scent I recommend Schapenmelk wholeheartedly!

brit likes this.
  6. boingo

boingo Member

Haha, I know the feeling. I've been shaving with it a lot. So much so look at what arrived in my box yesterday. Four shave and three bath soaps. All shipped to me for like $7 shipping. Can't beat that!
    shave soap.jpg

7. brit

brit in a box

i hope some makes it up here..i put some in the cart on the site and cancelled when i saw the $17 u.s shipping rate..