New STR8 Users Declining?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Dec 26, 2018.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Your use of the word "stupid" is insulting and also it's not a "pet trick" either. Bad use of words all around. It is a skill, like with using any other tool.

Edison Carter, Spyder, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  2. lindyhopper66

There are still many companies selling straights in the USA, Canada and Europe. There are straights being sold on shaving forums and "wiki" info on straight shaving, honing, etc. online that's been there for a good while. TI, Boker, Wacker, Revisor and Dovo...to name a few companies still make straights. Then there are a lot of artisans making straights.

There are many people offering honing services for a nominal fee. So the razors are still being made and vintage ones in mint to user grade still out there to buy and the information is still out there. I learned how to shave from YouTube videos and shaving forum help and mentoring for straight razor users. Your information is not accurate.

Edison Carter, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  3. lindyhopper66

Classic Shaving is still in business and selling straights. So is West Coast Shaving and Fendrihans and Smallflower and The Superior Shave. Em's and Shoebox never sold straights. You buy the artisan razors directly from the artisans usually.

Edison Carter, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  4. lindyhopper66

Just google "lapping film" and see what comes up. I've gotten it on eBay before, an electronics "cleaning" business and a company that sold hones.

Edison Carter, Spyder, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  5. lindyhopper66

I have used lapping film as well as coticules, Naniwa and Japanese stones and never used the burr method or ever heard of it until now. I do know that I can get a good bevel and edge using lapping film.

Edison Carter, Spyder, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I miss my DE and SE razors sometimes. I shave everyday and I will use a DE or SE once or twice a week. I use a SR just because it is fun to feel the steel against my skin and it is very cool.

Edison Carter, Spyder, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

You forgot that Maggards also sells straights and other shaving paraphernalia.

Edison Carter, Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

When I think about it, it's not raising the burr, but the progression from 30-.5 micron films. I call it the burr method simply because that's what it's called on another forum. I suppose I feel a need to give credit where credit is due and not give the impression it's something I invented.

For me, the film experience caused me to want to try a stone and I had watched many videos of Thuringian stones in use. I felt this would be a good starting point. Someone mentioned that whatever stone you finish on, that's the edge with which you are shaving. I wanted to experience a Thuringian edge and later a coticule edge.

I still have diamond paste on balsa and a rough out leather paddle strop with chromium oxide, but have no used them in a couple of months.

Like I said, keep it simple stupid is the approach to razor production and maintenance. That said, it really doesn't matter how sharp the razor is if you lack the skills to use them.

9. lindyhopper66

Yeah, I was just naming a few off the top of my head. And there are others as well.

10. thesuperiorshave

thesuperiorshave Active Member

Two of those five switched ownership, and none can now place their business model upon new production Western style straight razors being >50% of their volume, that's the point to prove the decline of the industry.

In prior years, there were multiple vendors with their whole existence's bedrock upon straight razors. Almost all have now perished or been sold to new ownership (which took the firms in a different direction, and likely paid little for the investment, though we cannot know this bit).

I do believe that the short attention span thinking of younger people has been a contributing factor - I have two daughters now 10 and 12, when you watch the percentage of their waking hours staring at a screen it is astounding. That's what they all seem to prefer to do. Every morning when I pass by the middle schoolers awaiting their bus I check to see which if any pairs of eyes are looking outward and not down to hand. Out of a 15-20 kids, I'm always impressed if there are two or more. That is not a person with a mentality towards slowing down and choosing entirely ~ancient mechanical processes.

11. Chuck Naill

Can’t agree with you about attention span and youth. You don’t get to this gymnasts level by not being able to focus.

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    And so it Begins

13. thesuperiorshave

It is a numbers game, sir. Outliers always exist in any distribution. I'm sure there's a person who loves to use a slide rule and still does so. But there is no longer a market to sell them new. That you can find the evidence of an outlier with a long attention span does nothing to change the predominance of a trend. The numbers on the business side of things speak well for themselves, and I feel I am well qualified there to denote that truth.

14. Chuck Naill

Not going to argue, YMMV. Just giving you another perspective.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  15. thesuperiorshave

Yes, the mileage does vary. Perhaps you will enter in to this business and decide for yourself on the trends while your livelihood/home/dependents are all at stake.

I've a supplier who worked years at Thiers and designed some famous TI blanks who told me TI blanks are normally warped and it doesn't matter how much the particular model costs, it can happen just as 'normally' on the least expensive model as the flagship. That was my experience back when I traded the brand, and I've since given that up because of precisely that issue. It has to do with the way they drop forged in France according to the old TI fellow.
    A master grinder from Solingen told me Solingen blank are better than French blank because the forger heats the metal ore once and then hammers the heated rod in four to six progressively tighter formed blank shapes in quick succession, very heavy force and short duration of process, and thereafter the steel is immediately quenched. That's not how it is done in France; they will use a singular more narrow blank shape (less excess steel area) and many hammerings each at less force while reheating the steel as necessary. Both the German master grinder and the older gent from FR said that the French way made a blank with marginally internally flawed steel that warps and exhibits pits/pockmarks/oxidation within the new steel due to the temperature cycle, but it can be made slightly thinner and more flexible. It just can't reliably be made flat. It is up to you to decide just how important that is...French being so very unique, they see it as the razor worth making if it can flex better and still can be maintained with a pasted strop (which tends to not care about the warp much as compared to a flat whetstone where it will be a big problem).

Doesn't the same seem to hold true when comparing high quality FR cutlery vs a premium Wusthof, for example? One looks like a computer made it, the other all handpatched and haphazard by comparison.

There are modern straight razors ground by one man that come from blanks French and German of vintage and modern forging. These razors when German are nice and flat every time, but French forged are at times alarmingly warped [speaking of the 'vintage' forging]. The French ones are also slightly thinner near the bevel plane.

16. brit

brit Well-Known Member

my work colleges in their 30s are the same..on breaks they stare at their phones..zombie like..almost zero interaction..so i read a book..

17. Chuck Naill

I remember being dissed as a young person by the older generation. I swore to myself I never do it to my children or grandchildren (10 and counting)

There will be plenty of young folks getting into using a straight razor as a way of connecting to their past. Our job is to insure they want to.

18. thesuperiorshave

I certainly hope you're right, but I'd give the free advice to anyone who asked that to wager their financial future on that is done at their peril.
    When I was in high school I was nicknamed 'bitter old man' because I used to look at things my peers did and think it wasn't as good as the elders' ways, so perhaps I've always crankily been the laggard.

Edison Carter, Karl G, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  19. Chuck Naill

Heard the same from old grumpy men in 1973

Edison Carter, Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Jarred: I really appreciate your insight on these topics. I hope your business continues to provide for you and your family. Your frankness and honesty are welcomed traits.