New STR8 Users Declining?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Dec 26, 2018.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sir. I now have both a loupe and lapping film on the way, thanks to informative information here.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Paul76, Edison Carter, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I buy several loupes at a time, they are cheaper than replacing the battery. It is useful to find micro chips, check to see if you have wiped out the stria from the last grit and for sparkles on the edge.

I found I really struggled setting bevels when there is an geometry issue or the spine is not flat. Lay the razor on a flat surface and see if you can rock it back and forth.

Paul76, Edison Carter, Dansco and 6 others like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

They ate handy tools and well worth the few bucks. They are so inexpensive that I’ll replace mine when the battery dies.

Deeter, Paul76, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

OK, that’s a blinding glimpse of the obvious that I hadn’t previously considered. Time to toss my loupe for a new one.

By the way, for anyone considering a USB microscope, I found it to be overkill. Kind of like using calculus to figure out the tip on the dinner check. It just adds complications that aren’t necessary.

Karl G, mrchick, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  5. brit

brit Well-Known Member

i agree sir,i admire straight razors and their operators,i am currently engulfed in vintage gillette madness at present,but am enjoying this and similar threads from the sidelines..my process--watch and learn...

Karl G, BigD, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  6. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Agree - I do the same with the high mag cheap loupes. I would also encourage the use of an unlit high quality 10x jewelers loupe a as well. I have an unbranded one I bought years ago from Hatton Garden and I find that I actually spot more issues with that - due to the wider future of vision and the optical clarity. The high magnification cheap Loupe is still useful for inspecting the scratch pattern in detail.

Karl G, mrchick, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  7. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Triplet is the finest loupe, I used them a lot in a different life.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Karl G, Keithmax, Paul76 and 5 others like this.
  8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Ok, please IMMEDIATELY tell me if this is a thread hijack (and apologies in advance, but)...

Let's say you have a razor which is not flat. There's a clear twist or bend in the spine.

It's too nice a razor to grind it out, and ruin it's aesthetic. How do you hone it?! :angry021:

Karl G, mrchick, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Combine them "vintage Gillette with ye straights" for a clean, manly shave.

Attached Files:

10. brit

brit Well-Known Member

very cool..

11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

There are multiple names of cool strokes but honestly, we all just made those names up, they don't mean anything.

Swooping
    Rocking/rolling
    J
    Windshield wiper etc: etc:
    All those names mean nothing, and I am guilty of coining a few over the years :(

It all comes down to the spine and the opposing edge both touching the hone at the same time so that you can see the ripple of water right in front of or riding up on the bevel
    This also automatically adjusts the pressure and torque as you hone, use the least amount of pressure to Ride that Wave and it will decrease as the "Fin" becomes more keen.
    If the ripple slips under the bevel you are no longer honing the Fin, you are just wasting steel and chasing the edge :(

This requires a bit of "Honing Gymnastics" to accomplish, it really is that simple

Some swear by thinner hones, but honestly, if you just use the exact same moves (Honing gymnastics) as you need to use on a 1 inch hone but using it on 1 inch of a 3 inch hone the results are the same..

Just "Ride the Wave" and adjust your stroke to accomplish that

You might find the Magic Marker Test (MMT) invaluable to show you exactly what Honing Gymnastics are going to be needed to make this happen :D

This is one of the more difficult parts of honing to learn, also try and hone toward a smile, many get frustrated with this and straighten out those beautiful smiles and create even more problems

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Been there, done that, collected them, and I needed a personal challenge. I never looked back, once.I got good results, with straights.

13. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I agree... I have some lovely vintage Gillettes, and I'm sure at some point I'll buy more, but straights have been the most rewarding avenue in wet-shaving for me so far.

14. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thank you!!

So its not a huge deal if i have to use some slight pressure, or torque the razor a little?

I tried that with the Naniwa once, but then stopped in case it was something I shouldn't be doing!!

Karl G, gssixgun, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I figured that when I become too old, to safely shave with Straights, the Vintage Gillettes, and other DE and SE razors ive collected, will again be used. Along with the myriad of Vintage Razor Blades.

Dansco, Karl G, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  16. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Very good choice, they really help you see the problems that need to be corrected before your test shave. A lighted loupe is one of the best tools to set you up for success.

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I tried using an USB microscope, I quickly abandoned it.

Karl G, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  18. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Completely agree with that about straights, it is for me like going back in time to a better way. The complete process has a purpose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Karl G, mrchick, brit and 3 others like this.
  19. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    No especially at the lower grits, You MUST absolutely MUST push that ripple of water ahead of the bevel when starting, then it will begin to undercut as the bevel gets keener.

By watching that wave it will help you learn the pressure and torque that you need to use

Dansco, Karl G, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree about the USB scope. I used mine once or twice and went back to the loupe.

Paul76, Karl G, Keithmax and 3 others like this.