New STR8 Users Declining?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Dec 26, 2018.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Come over to the dark side. You could be like me and have 300-400 vintage safety razors collecting dust

RyX, Dansco, Paul76 and 8 others like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Goo-bloomin' Stankster

This thread has been a great read, yet saddening to me in some ways.

Though I have been involved in traditional shaving for just over a year and experienced a great satisfaction, it is troublesome to see a decline.

In my zeal, I spent enough $ to accumulate enough stuff to probably last my lifetime. Why? Because I wanted to, and because I can. While my 'stuff' could easily be considered either modest or eccentric depending on your perspective, I'd find it difficult to see the average youngster do the same. Nor could I have seen myself dedicate the learning curve time in my youth. It is unlikely that I will see another year spending the same on shaving gear. Many could be in the same position.

I am acquainted with a young man whose vocation requires a daily shave. My daughter tells me that he uses modern equipment, is irritated, and hates it. As a gift, I bought him some really nice stuff that would surely be a game changer for him. I'm not sure why, but it did not seem to get his interest... Yet.

Having observed what 'Big', 'Volume' and 'Lowest Price' do to everything they touch in marketing, I'd hate to have to wade into the wonderful waters of a straight razor shave without the individuals to trust. I have found many of them right here.

A decline in potential consumers always leads to fewer choices for them.

It would be sad to not be able to buy that next special strop, razor, brush, etc., from someone you can trust. You can't just ask Amazon to sell you what 'they' would buy.

A special thanks to those who contribute. You may not even know who you are, but I appreciate you.

RyX, Dansco, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Take heart, Sir. While SR shaving may not be accepted with youth, the safety razor is gaining a foot hold around those in my circles. A lady friend of one of my kids now shaves her legs with a lady Gillette, as does my wife. Two of my three sons, and one of their friends also shave with a safety razor. Perhaps they will find an interest in Straights, perhaps not. But they have the opportunity.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Dansco, Paul76, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  4. lightcs1776

I have a question for @gssixgun. What do you mean by honing for a smile? I am still figuring out the details of honing. I have been trying to avoid smiles and frowns. Thanks!

RyX, Dansco, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Smiles good, Frowns bad. Nuff said.

Dansco, Edison Carter, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  6. lightcs1776

So, smile is where the middle of the razor is slightly indented? This is where terminology gets a bit confusing.

7. DaltonGang

@lightcs1776
    Smile, thicker in the middle and thinner at the ends. This aides in an efficient, and smooth shave. Frowns, are the result of poor honing, and can cause bites, and blood. Smiles are especially useful around the neck.

RyX, Dansco, Edison Carter and 7 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Smile: :)
    Frown::(

RyX, Dansco, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Simple, but not easy, or quick. Lots of practice involved.

10. lightcs1776

So, this seems to be fairly straight. I will try to get a smile in the next hone, once the new lapping film comes in. [​IMG]

Spyder, Dansco, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  11. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

If you are just starting, it may be challenging enough just to get it sharp. Don’t worry about a smile. Worry about the blade pushing water, as glen said.

Spyder, Edison Carter, brit and 6 others like this.
  12. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I am only at 90

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spyder, Dansco, Edison Carter and 7 others like this.
  13. brit

brit Well-Known Member

only at 38 so far,few more to go..

14. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    This is a nice typical Smile

[​IMG]

Note how it matches the line of the spine

You should hone to follow that and keep it that way

Another angle

[​IMG]

Again by using a stroke that keeps the ripple of water moving from heel to toe as you move evenly and equally across the hones

Karl G, RyX, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  15. lightcs1776

I will try this when the new lapping film comes in. Gssixgun has a good video on this that I will follow. Thanks everyone for the help. Sorry, to the OP, for the diversion.

Karl G, Keithmax, Spyder and 6 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Just hone it nkrmally, dont concentrate on making it smile. Just be aware if you are spending too much time, trying to set a bevel, and not paying attention to the heel, a frown might develop. Same with the toe, but i havent seen that often.

Karl G, SevenEighth, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  17. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

To each his own. If you find something that works better for you, go with it and be happy. At least you tried it.

brit, Edison Carter, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  18. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

That is the beauty of this thing we call shaving. Nothing is wrong. We are free to form our own opinions and do what we enjoy.

19. lightcs1776

Now I really want one. Oh well, in due time. Who ever knew SRs could be addictive?

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

:signs011: