New "tamed" version of the Mühle R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Codfish, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Codfish

Codfish Member

There have been rumors of a new, tamer version of the Mühle R41 recently. The rumors have been confirmed.

Here are close-up photos of the two versions of the R41--the original, and the "tamed" versions. Thank you to Christian Vela for his excellent photos. and thanks to Foroafeitado.com for allowing use of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that in the top photo, the original R41 is on the left, and in the bottom photo, it's on the right.

Unfortunately, there is no new packaging and no new model designation. The width of the top cap is the only clue.

Happy shaving!

ohpaos and alpla444 like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

A nice heads-up there, but as you say confusion will ensue with no distinguishable features,

3. Codfish

Codfish Member

True, the differene is subtle. The original top cap was 18.8mm wide, and the modified cap is 20.2mm. I understand that if you have a razor with an R89 or DE89 head, you can swap the top cap with the original R41's to approximate the change in aggressivenes. I have not tried this, as I no longer have my DE89 razor.

4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that I'd be highly upset if I were to order the original R41 and get one that has been "tamed". The ONLY reason I would order one is for it's aggressive nature. Good heads up, though, so Thank you in advance. Rest assured I will communicate my desire with whichever seller I decide to purchase this monster from.

5. Codfish

Codfish Member

You might be upset, but you may not be disappointed. The adjustments probably have less to do with aggressiveness, but are designed to correct some issues with reported blade flex. I'll be reviewing the new version as soon as I can get my hands on one. I've recently used Joris and ATT razors that have 99% of the R41's aggrssiveness, but are truly well-mannered and do not require the R41's need for close attention and concentration in use. I predict this is a "good thing".

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  6. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I ordered a R41 just before all this came out. I pretty sure it is the new *tamed* version. It is still the most aggressive razor I have used. It is my first modern razor. Razors I have used are Fatboy, Slim, Super LH, Hoffritz slant, and LC NEW.
    I use all my adjustable on 9 setting. YMMV

7. Codfish

Codfish Member

Are you able to get an accurate measure of the width of the top cap? Is it 20mm+?

8. Weeper Warrior

I don't have a caliper but it is 2cm wide on my ruler. Not under 2cm for sure.

9. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

10. Codfish

Codfish Member

That would be the new version, for sure. Let us know what you think!:happy093:

11. Codfish

Codfish Member

I have really liked my R41 for its aggressiveness, and have over 400 shaves with it. It's a bargain for U.S. shavers, with Connnaught and Shaving.ie selling them for less than $40 USD. Sorry I don't know about prices available in Greece.

Thank you for the excellent link, Doryfern!

Doryferon likes this.
  12. Weeper Warrior

I can't really compare the two models I have only used the new one.

13. Codfish

Codfish Member

Remember:

R41 2011 (original) = 18.8mm

R41 2013 (refined) = 20.2mm

14. Weeper Warrior

You have gone up on your measurements.

15. Codfish

Codfish Member

Sorry, typo. New is 20.2mm.

It's also possible to use the pictures above to get the best match for blade exposure.

16. Doryferon

Me too but "must" buy the "tamed" one ?
    I mean for its different feeling
    If its not something very different from other DE's as vintage Gillette lets avoid it.

We buy from the same shops
    Not all DE's are available in Greece and the prices are in euro that means it's better to buy from an american store for example the Westcoasting.com
    I must thank you also for the informations.

;)

17. Codfish

Codfish Member

Now that I have used two razors that are as aggressive as the R41 (Joris and ATT Atlas) but are much easier to use, I predict that the changes to the R41 do not effect aggressiveness as much as improve the ease of use. My guess is that if you are happy with your old R41, there is no reason to buy the new one. That said, I will test the new version and report here.

Doryferon likes this.
  18. Doryferon

OK we are waiting for your review.

19. razorx

razorx Member

The 2013 Muhle R41 arrived in the mail this afternoon...when I brought it indoors,it immediately earned the distinction of being the only razor in my home manufactured after 1968 as all the modern razors I've tried have moved on to other homes.

I just finished shaving a 2 day beard with it this afternoon armed with an Astra SP,as I've never had the pleasure of shaving with the highly regarded 2011 model unfortunately I can't offer any comparison.Except for my beloved Gillette OLD, I'm primarily a single edge user,yet for some reason I sensed I would like this razor and it did not disappoint.

For those familiar with the GEM OCMM SE...the 2013 R41's performance brought to mind the feeling that I was shaving with it's double edged cousin.The optimal shaving angle's easily found,stay in the pocket and you'll receive a highly efficient irritation free shave without a speck of blood.

Much like the Gillette OLD and OCMM single edge,I get a fine sense of the blade's edge for accurate trimming around my goatee.I like the handle,it's diameter and length were right on,could be more grippy but should be fine if I'm not sloppy.

Fit and finish is impeccable,blade position...efficient and tight.I'm usually reluctant to comment until I shave with a razor a few times but right out of the gate it's easy to see the 2013 Muhle R41 will share the spotlight with my small group of favorites.

Lexicon Devil and Weeper Warrior like this.
  20. Weeper Warrior

Try a Feather and unleash the beast.:sad038:

PLANofMAN and razorx like this.