NEW to DE razors

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by DLP, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I've been using an Atra for years. I've been thinking about trying a DE but would like to invest in a beginner friendly razor. What razor and blade combo would be Beginner friendly?

2. elderberry99

elderberry99 Member

I have both the EJ DE89 and the Weber razor. Both are fantastic razors and will do well with many blades. The Weber will take anything you put in it and my DE89 loves Derby blades. Very smooth BBS shaves. The Weber is extremely hard to find right now if at all. It is out of stock for a while until they can make some more.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Edwin Jagger DE86, DE87 or DE89. They have the same heads just different handles; very forgiving razors that are easy to learn on and use blade samplers with.

And I do mention samplers because blades vary from user to user and you are not guaranteed to get good shaves with what others use; try different brands and see what work best for you personally.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

Hi,
    I would start with an EJ 89DE - very mild shave and a blade of choice as all faces are different. I like Wilkinson - Shark and Feather.
    Good luck.

6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

The Edwin jaggers are really nice! Well I have a muhle (same head) and you honestly can't get a better razor that is forgiving and that gives super smooth shaves.

7. bottomhalf

bottomhalf New Member

I just started DE shaving as well. I use an EJ DE89 with a lined chrome handle. It has been a pleasure so far. I would also second what some of the others have said with regard to blades. Get a sample pack and find the one that works best for you. Happy shaving!

bottomhalf

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den, yeah the jagger and sampler pack of blades is a great way to start.

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Greetings and :signs046: to the Den.

Everyone has suggested modern, a vintage Gillette Super Speed would also be a good choice. For blades purchase a blade sampler, that way you can find your blade.

Enjoy classic shaving it :git:

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

11. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Welcome to the Den. If you want to go vintage, you may also think about a Gillette Superspeed. My favorite is the 1949 (no date code) model.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Welcome to The Shave Den family! :git:

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Welcome to the Den!

Happy shavings!

14. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

the ej89 seems to be a very sensible choice to me, I would reccomend it to you :) welcome to the wet shave world

15. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for our thoughts. it looks like I should look into an EJ89.

16. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

17. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

I would also suggest the Edwin Jagger De89. Derby Extra blades are very good with the Jagger. I don't know the DE86. In a vintage razor any of the Gillette Superspeeds are great for beginners and well experienced alike.

Barry

18. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

19. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Welcome to the Den! Enjoy your stay here and Happy Shaving! :signs046:

20. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Glad to have you here at 'da Den!