New to me razor hone.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mikewood, Aug 30, 2016.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I have been straight razor shaving for a while now on and off and trying to make the commitment but life keeps getting in the way. SOP was to buy a fleabay razor, send it off to Larry the whipped dog for Service, shave with it for about three weeks and when it started tugging I usually had another on standby. On and off I kind it got the hang of it but was afraid of sharpening. I planned to send a few back to Larry but thought I would grab a hone and see if I could make a go at it myself. Not wanting to spend much I got a barber hone from EBay and could not be more pleased.

The hone is a SRD (no relation) quick and easy hone. It's double sided with the writing being the coarser side. I was surprised at how fast and well it worked. On the smooth side using the stone wet and shaving cream I was able to get the blade back to sharp enough to shave in just a few quick X stroke passes. This was my first attempt and I know I will get better but I was surprised at how easily it was.
    Thanks for looking. Better pics to follow.

The hone is a [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I also have been putting off honing. I guess it's time to purchase stones...

You seem to have been successful, so maybe i hace a chance

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    S.R. Droescher existed 1891-1924, manufacture of razors began ca. 1916.
    This importer was at 77-79 Warren St., New York City. Severin R.Droescher was the owner.
    S.R. Droescher made razors in a factory in Cranbury, New Jersey,

SRD :)

They did not make the hones and there is a good possibility it was made by Swaty in Austria (No Proof yet)

I did a vid about using Barber's Hones for Maintenance some years back you will hear some good info in it :) hope it helps

Keithmax, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Thanks gssixgun.
    As you can see the instructions on the back appear to be in German so maybe that's a clue. Maybe I just got an import.

STDandy.
    I don't think you can go wrong learning on a $20 used razor with a $12 hone job but I would not want to try it on a brand new $175 Boker. My first new razor is still many months away and might not come at all since these antiques are so enjoyable. Not everyone can afford a model T Ford but we can shave with a 100 year old straight and hone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm gonna back track and watch that video of Glen's @gssixgun 's. :thanks:
    I've used a similar barbers hone and freshened straights that hadn't been too abused.
    Cattaraugus and box.gif