New to Pipe tobacco any advice?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by myles wilson, Feb 27, 2021.

1. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Bought my first pipe today and ordered some pipe tobacco from pipesandcigars.com anyone ever ordered from them, are they a good website? @jimjo1031 IMG_20210227_191441.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Hammer8 and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I had a pipe phase many years ago and my only advice would be to avoid the tobacco that you can get at your local drugstore. Get good pipe tobacco from a tobacconist or online. I had a preference toward pipe tobaccos that contained some cigar tobacco in the mix.

Oh, and corn cob pipes can be a good place to start. While they aren't exactly nice to look at, they require no break-in and are inexpensive. Personally I always preferred a pipe that I could use with a filter but others would say this interferes with taste.

And churchwarden pipes just look plain cool.

Hammer8, Ursa and myles wilson like this.
  3. myles wilson

Well one of the blends I ordered was called "flying Dutchman" this one sounds interesting.

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I too used to enjoy a pipe.
    Expensive quality tobaccos from a reputable vendor will definitely enhance the experience but in the same way that Pinaud Clubman stands up to competitors costing many times more; you’ll find Captain Black Original (in the white pouch) to be a very fine smoke. You can buy it most anywhere because it’s been a top seller for years and it’s most affordable. There’s a reason some drugstore brands have been around for generations.

myles wilson likes this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Make time.
    Pipe smoking is not a quick sport.
    While you certainly can walk or ride a bicycle with pipe in hand it does seem to benefit from a quiet place and comfortable chair.

Hammer8 likes this.
  6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

This is one of the missed items that I have given up. I love the smell and miss the peace and calm of a pipe. Glad you can enjoy it.

Chris - enjoying learning, whatever the subject

myles wilson likes this.
  7. richgem

I don't think I've heard of that one but I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

8. myles wilson

"blend uses black Cavendish, Burley, and Virginia, as well as mellow vanilla flavors" hmm we'll see

9. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Good for you!
    Smoking a pipe requires a fair amount of patients and learning proper techniques.
    Learn about the many types of Pipe Tobacco and how blending is used to create the many thousands of pipe tobaccos are available.
    Learn about the various techniques there are for packing a pipe, tamping a pipe, cleaning a pipe, bits and so on.
    Learn about the many different shapes and bowl sizes, some have advantages & some disadvantages.
    A good pipe lighter is one of the very most important things you will need

Pipes and Cigars, is an excellent online vendor. Research there site, as there is a huge amount of information available.

I have smoked a pipe, on & off, for over 40 years. I have had a couple of hundred of pipes over the years and that's no BS. About 10 years ago,
    I sold off the last 30 or 35 pipes I had, except for my better Corn Cob Pipes and one Meerschaum Pipe. For the last ten years or so, when I decide to smoke a pipe, I use my corn cobs. IMHO, Corn Cobs are the easiest, best smoking pipes out there and the do not tend to ghost the heavy tobacco flavors.

Hammer8 and myles wilson like this.
  10. myles wilson

Might get a corn cob pipe in the future thanks for t he info!

11. myles wilson

Well my blends arrived yay!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammer8 likes this.
  12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Everything that has been said here so far is true of my experience. P&C is a great vendor for sure. They have a wide variety of house blends that are sure to please.

My favorite smoke is Captain Earle's Ten Russians. This is a heavy Latakia blend and is probably an acquired taste, as is Laphroaig Scotch whisky.

myles wilson likes this.
  13. myles wilson

Yea, I'll be giving it a try later today, I'll report how I feel about it later.

14. myles wilson

@richgem @johnnyflake so I finally gave the Flying Dutchman blend a try, found it an enjoyable blend. Almost had a chocolate taste to it along with vanilla but very smooth, no tongue bite for me. I let a friend get a pinch of it to try. He also found it pretty good as well.

Ursa, Enrico and richgem like this.
  15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Many blends can be improved by adding some cigar tobacco. I've jazzed up many bland-tasting aromatics with cigar leaf.

myles wilson and richgem like this.
  16. richgem

Hmmm... sounds interesting.

myles wilson likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I thought you were suppose to smoke it and not eat it.

:happy097:

myles wilson likes this.
  18. myles wilson

:happy097::happy097::happy102: eww no eating it :sick007:

Enrico likes this.
  19. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

+1 on Captain Black. I prefer the Royal variant to the Original. I only buy them when I can't get my favorite blends but whenever I do go with the Captain, I'm always struck by just how good it is.

Adding 3 cigarettes' worth of Bugler cigarette tobacco to a freshly-opened pouch of Original cuts down on the sometimes-excessive moisture, reduces relights, and really makes for a well-behaved blend.

Enrico and John Beeman like this.
  20. myles wilson

This is my more updated collection so far.I’m not really an everyday smoker but I’ve been smoking these two blends everyday this week just to experiment with which one I like. they are both quite good. I’ve really only been doing one bowl a day and even then, this should last me a while. I also found another pipe this week while antiquing. Need to clean it.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammer8, Zykris and Enrico like this.