New to straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Birdie, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I picked my first straight razor the other day. It has professional razor on the blade and Pakistan on the handle. Does anyone know anything about this one?

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

It is basically a straight razor shaped letter opener (most likely). Most of the blades coming out of Pakistan cannot hold an edge, and if they take one they shave like you're sanding your face with a brick. The best bet for an affordable straight would be Whipped Dog or GemStar Customs.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: Despite what is stamped on the blade, the only thing 'professional' about many of those razors is the ability of the makers to mislead novice straight shavers into purchasing their products.

4. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Glad I only paid five bucks then

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Whipped Dog used but Shave Ready ("sight unseen") razors are your best bet. Inexpensive, and your razor will definitely be good to go when you receive it.

6. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Hopefully this other one I picked up was a better find. I'll post pics later. All I can tell so far is there is German writing at the end of the blade.

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Where did you get it from? I hope it's not a Kreigar, those are made in Pakistan as well and are dressed up to look Solingen.

8. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Be careful with cheaper imitations. I bought two Pakastani razors just to see if I could hone them. The metal was not anealed properly so it was unable to holsd a true shave ready edge for long. I'm sure there are some out there that have the ability to shave but I have not seen one.

9. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

here is what is on the blade of the other straight I bought. 5jahre rante eingen. at least that's what I can make of it. on the other side it has a N on it.

10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    It probably says

"Garante Solingen"

Honestly a picture is worth a 1000 words

The word "Guarantee" on the razors might have a few different spellings, pending on the target market

11. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I am getting cleaned up first. then there will be a picture.

12. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

13. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Ok I need to be truthful now

I gotta say something here and it isn't going to be popular, but some of you new guys need to quit throwing away good money
    You have a Pakistani razor that is useless, and a worn out Vintage that has maybe 3/8 left and bad Geometry to boot..

I could understand this if forums like TSD were not available, but you simply are one post and link away from expert help, all you have to do is post a question and many here will answer..
    If you think it is a "Great" deal and that you are going to lose it then fire me a PM with a link I have zero interest in buying more razors, I won't outbid you..

I will PIF you a "Shave Ready" Straight Razor and get you started, I am pretty sure I have a couple out in the shop that will work many of my good customers send me razors specifically to fix up and give away .. If you are interested fire me a PM and we can sort out the details

14. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Like I have said before. I did not spend more than 5 bucks a piece on them. So I'm not out much. If I wanted a straight that knew that without a doubt I could use everyday. I would buy a new one. If I bought them for no other reason than a little bit of history then i have no regrets. I like the story and history of where they have been. If you don't like what I have then don't comment.

15. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Actually Glen, that is very generous of you, and I think you're right on in that this sort of thing needs to be said. The biggest reason most of us go the used razor route is economics, and chasing what little money we have after bad razors is bad economics. You can't save money by wasting it on useless junk.

Birdie, it sounds like you aren't concerned about the amount of money you spent, and that's good, because what you have are two razors that aren't really useable. If you're okay with that, make decorative items out of them or something, and all's well... Don't take Glen wrong, he's trying to help and is being very generous in offering a PIF for you. He may seem blunt, but it's just that we get a lot of people posting their new purchases that are wasted money all the time, and he, like many of us, hates to see people waste their money and get a bad first impression of straight shaving. He's a bear, but a good bear!:)

SRNewb, burnout961 and HolyRollah like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A very nice gesture, Glen, and if I were just getting started, I'd certainly take you up on the offer. Fortunately for me, when I was just getting into straights, I had some good counsel for an experienced straight user (and fellow TSD member) who directed me towards acquiring functional straights and had me avoid some less-than-desirable items. It is very easy to purchase a worthless SR as there are countless of them out there posing as usable razors, and as a novice, I was a prime candidate for making a bad purchase. I now have a pretty good idea of what to look for and what to avoid—and still I sometimes acquire an occasional razor with an undisclosed hidden surprise.

Birdie, the history behind many of these razors is in fact quite interesting. I suppose many of us here have a predisposition towards acquiring razors for use as well as the historical value—and no one likes to see any one, particularly new SR users, get something near impossible to shave with. Many of the ebay razors are old, some have historical significance, and often make wonderful shavers. Too many, however, are really quite valueless and are presented as something they are not—an actual shaving instrument.

17. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I am afraid I have fallen into the category of duds. It's my biggest set back, intimidation wise, of sending my Dubl Duck your way Glen :p I have admitted it. :p

18. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I apologize if I seem a little on the defensive side. I truly did not mean to offend anyone. My original question was not if I had made a good purchase or not on a razor. I look to all you guys for knowledge and guidance. I am looking to start using a straight. All of the razors I use now are vintage DE except the new Van Der Hagen I just bought. I stop and stare every time I walk past TAOS store at the really straights they have. After I look at the price of each of them I walk out empty handed. I have no bad impressions when it comes to using a SR. I think the ones who them are more impressive than the razor itself. I'm glad I have found a life beyond the cartridge, you guys take it back further than I do. I read a lot of post here at TSD before I look to buy. Glen, Thank your offer. If the deal is still on the table, please let me know.

burnout961 and HolyRollah like this.
  19. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    @Birdie

It is often hard to see where a person's intent is on a forum because you only get a single form of input from the text,,, Trust me if we were face to face you would have known for sure I meant no disrespect and was only trying to save you money and skin :)

I dug through the bench box and found you a 9/16 half hollow Roundnose "Garantie Solingen" stamped blade :D I know huh, shear freaking luck hehehe
    Anyway I put some scales on there for ya and just finished honing it up on the Chosera 1-5-10 and a Zulu Grey Finisher.. Sorry there are still some minor stains left on there

[​IMG]

If you can PM me your mailing address I will send it out when I am in town tomorrow

Smooth Shaves

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that this razor will be a tad more comfortable than the one in Post#12. :D;)

Birdie, enjoy this newly honed razor! :happy088: A great intro into straight razor shaving.

Glen, your actions here are one of the many reasons I love frequenting this forum!

:hooray: