New to TSD

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Joe81, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Joe81

Joe81 New Member

Hello All
    I’ve been wet shaving for about a year but just found this site. I had been using a cheap closed comb Van De Haven. I started since I have a coarse beard and the cartridges just tore my face up. My wife bought me a Gillette old type for Christmas. Can’t wait to try it. I’m sure it will be different but I haven’t dreaded shaving since I started wet shaving. It’s relaxing.

2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. I would point you to the 30 day focus on the forum. Great people, and quite knowledgeable about the entire gammet of DE shaving. Don't worry about the VDH razor, if you have good technique it doesn't matter what razor you use!
    Not sure if you have had a good with any single edge razors, but I do find that they are a bit easier for beginners to use as the angle is almost automatic!
    Welcome aboard, glad to have ya around.

brit, dmshaver, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Merry Christmas and welcome aboard! Everybody here is ready to help you learn any kind of shaving you want to try. Congrats on that Old Type. One of the best ever made. You've already been invited to the 30Day thread so feel free to jump in!

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome from the Christmas Day class of 2014

brit, RyX, wristwatchb and 1 other person like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    brit and RyX like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

brit likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

brit likes this.
  8. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

brit and RyX like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome from Kentucky!

brit and RyX like this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama!

brit and RyX like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

brit and RyX like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome and Merry Christmas @Joe81, from here in western NY. Glad you decided to join us at TSD.

brit likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome, @Joe81 , glad to have you. When you try your OT, be sure to "ride the cap." That is, start with the cap on your face and lower the handle until the blade touches your face. The OT can be aggressive if you get too much of an angle. It is a great shaver when you get the angle right.

zwelcome1a.jpg

brit, RyX and Enrico like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome.. 2 years in with vintage gillettes, love em.. after 30+ years with carts, well i saw the light, 30 DC loves new folks, ...

Hembree, RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

17. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD Joe81. Enjoy!

brit likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Joe81! Glad you found us. This Wet Shave Renaissance has given us all a way to enjoy what used to be a painful annoying chore. Have you enjoyed a "Zen shave" where you finish up with perfect results with no special effort? It's great when all the technique and skills, hardware and software align for a pleasant & painless beard reduction.

Besides your new acquisition and that VDH DE, what other products have you encountered that enhance your shaves? Got a favorite set up?

brit likes this.
  19. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

The Gillette Old Type razors can be a bit agressive, but are capable of extremely close shaves.

Half the fun is experienting and finding what works best for you. :signs046::eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  20. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den

brit likes this.