New Van der Hagen Luxury line

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IAmTheJody, Mar 12, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

[​IMG]
    hypo-allergenic Luxury Shave Soap with over 10% Glycerine & emollient
    $9.36 for a pack of 3 and releases on March 24, 2011

[​IMG]
    hypo-allergenic Luxury Shave Soap with over 10% Glycerine & emollient Shea, Mango & Cocoa Butters
    $9.36 for a pack of 3 and releases on March 24, 2011

[​IMG]
    100% pure badger hair
    $15.00 and releases on March 24, 2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shave Set includes Apothecary Mug, Premium soap, Badger brush, Acrylic razor and brush stand
    $25.00 and releases on March 24, 2011

Pre-orders accepted at Amazon.com here.

There is a seller on eBay selling the products already. Not sure if they are pre-orders. But I wouldn't buy from this seller. Way over priced. For example, you get 1 cake of soap for $8.95 shipped from the eBay seller.. you get 3 cakes from Amazon for $9.36 plus shipping (free Amazon Super Saver shipping on orders of $25.00 or more).

Saw this elsewhere too...

The new soap is part of an upscale line being launched. Amazon will be the first to carry the product. The new line has a badger brush, acrylic shave brush and razor stand (razor not included), a ceramic apothecary shave bowl (new soap fits perfectly!) and two new shave soaps. The shave soaps are 3.5 oz vs the current 2.5 oz and are similar in formulation BUT they have a higher percentage of the ingredients that set our product apart from the others - ie. glycerin, shea/mango/cocoa butter. Both bars have over 10% glycerin! The two bars are almost identical in formulation (same goodie package), the scented bar being opaque white and the unscented being transparent. The scented bar has a very nice fresh-citrusy-woody note. It is of cologne quality. We manufacture all of our soaps in Liberty Hill, Texas.

Hope this helps! Thanks for writing.

Marty van der Hagen

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It'll be interesting to see how the brush fares in the forums. And the kit looks like a good value too.

There was a small discussion here recently.

The windmill still reminds me of Muhle.

3. IAmTheJody

Sorry for posting about it again, my search didn't turn up any mention of it. I really need to figure out how to use operators better in the vBulletin search function.

Last year, when my VdH boar brush began shedding excessively, I sent the company an email about it. They acknowledged a problem with the boar brushes and shipped me a badger brush free. I didn't care for it because it was ridiculously floppy so I PIFed it away.

And I noticed the Muhle resemblance too. If they aren't in an agreement with Muhle, this could get ugly legally come March 24. Muhle and Merkur don't play when it comes to copies or infringement.

4. Queen of Blades

Nothing to apologize for, Jody. :) I knew about the soap, but not the brush and kit. I just searched for "van der hagen" to find the previous thread.

By appearances, is this a different brush then what they sent you?

There are some slight differences in the logos, but since they are both shaving products/companies, it may cause more of a problem than if they were completely different product categories. Even if it doesn't, you'd think they would want a more unique logo of their own.

5. IAmTheJody

Yes, this brush is totally different. The one they sent me, and others who had the shedding problem with their VdH boar brushes, was a larger light-color wooden handle with a much larger knot. It didn't have any markings or logos on it.

6. Queen of Blades

Someone will have to do a value badger brush comparison; the Tweezerman, the Shea Moisture, the new Van Der Hagen, etc.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As a fan of the VDH soaps, I'm looking forward to the release of the new line.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:sihns011 Steve! Citrusy-woodsy sounds nice too. I hope it is going to be available locally too.

9. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Saw that, and briefly considered it, then remembered just how big my stockpile of soap is, including a dozen each of the previous versions of VdH and VdH deluxe.

So never mind, but the unscented soap looks like it would worth trying for somebody who doesn't have enough soap already for a dozen years. If anyone tries these, let us know how they are.

10. swarden43

You know I'll be keeping a close eye at Wally-World. They carry the Deluxe at $1.49 a puck. I just hope it's more "woodsy" than "citrusy".

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If not, there's always the microwave and some EO. It might be nice to add a nice menthol kick to it also. With some luck, I will empty a mug out by summer to try it.

12. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

Well how about that!

New products released on my birthday! :D

Am absolutely going to have to acquire the the new soaps!

13. swarden43

Yup. I've already added M Bomb to my lather bowl with the VDH. Most often I'll also add a couple drops of Em's Woodstock EO to the bowl, as well. I don't like the idea of adding it to the entire puck, though. There are times when I do like the subtle scent of the original VDH.

14. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Well if it lathers as well as the Deluxe puck it'll be a winner. Been wanting an apothecary mug for quite awhile and I don't need or want the razor stand and brush, I would find room for the mug and soap in the rotation.

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I need all that stuff like I need a hole in the head, but I've had the complete kit on pre-order for quite a while now.

Want to try out the new soap, cause I need more soap. :rolleyes:

I also thought at that price I might as well get the complete kit so that I can do a low cost badger brush comparison.... :cool:

16. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Veddy, veddy iinterestiing...

17. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well, I popped the extra $$ and ordered the scented version off ebay. Got it 3 days ago and have used it twice so far.

I can't really describe the scent other than it's mild and pleasant. My wife says it's a manly man scent that she likes it alot

With only two shaves with it done, it's a little early to tell about how I feel about it. I did get very nice shaves though. It's slick and lathers easily. Need to work with it more before I make a final determination. Looks promising though.

18. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

This is a bonus for all the guys who want to get in with an entry level kit without spending alot of bank. I may very well join in and preorder. It does smack of muhle with the windmills.

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Seeing if this kit would be worth recommending to noobs was another reason I ordered it too, and if the price stays @ $25.00 it may be a bargain.

20. rhmills

rhmills New Member

I pre-ordered the set awhile back. I'm really looking forward to it!

Ryan