New Van der Hagen Luxury line

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IAmTheJody, Mar 12, 2011.

1. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I'm not very familiar with the Muhle logo, gonna look it up in a sec, but to provide an argument for VDH using the windmill, check their website:

[​IMG](picture is clicky)

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Muhle Pinsel logo:

[​IMG]

3. sol92258

Yeah, just looked it up, kinda similar, but significantly different enough, in my opinion

[​IMG]

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

IDK, but looking at them close together, I would have to agree with Jody, way too similar IMO.

Like JoAnna said, being that both companies cater to the same crowd, I wouldn't be surprised if legal issues arose from this.

5. sol92258

I guess we'll see. I can see arguments from both sides being valid, but to me there's enough different, even at a glance, but then, it could be argued the general shape is too similar....tough call.

Unless they're secretly in cahoots somehow....

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yeah, it may end up being a complete non-issue.

Then again, Ford threatened Ferrari with a lawsuit because they called their new Formula One race car model this year the F150. :rolleyes:

7. sol92258

:happy102:happy102:happy102

"Dude, that's a fancy lookin' F150 ya got ri't thar...bet you can't haul much hay in it, but bet yer boots ya kin git it thar purty fast"

It's lawsuits like that that chip away a little more at my faith in the common sense of humanity. Again, I can see both sides of the argument - long established brand name, extrememly different vehicles, etc. But sheesh - not like they're ever gonna be sold on the same lot or anything :D

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Don't know if folks remember but Van Der Hagen used to sell a badger brush, it was well regarded by forum goers. The way to buy them in the past was to call VDH and order one.

Also it was pointed elsewhere that VDH also features a wind mill on their site so the Muhle connection is not there. Also VDH looks like they make more products for brands than other way round.

Agree with others , the kit looks like a nice deal.

9. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

"VDH" and "luxury" were two words that I didn't consider using in the same sentence. Now I look forward to using their new product line and seeing if it's going to be as good as it seems, especially at that price.

10. The Groom Room got our shipment of VDH's new Luxury line in Friday, but unfortunately we don't sell internet or mail orders... just walk in retail. I've posted my reviews of the Scented Luxury soap (in the shave soaps reviews area) as well as my review of their new badger brush (in the shave brush reviews section).

Since Friday, we've already sold 3 Luxury shave sets, and numerous Luxury soaps. I think they will sell extremely well in the wet shaving community. This new line will give 'The Big Boys' of luxury shaving goods, a run for the money... and for good reason.

I'm confident that if you purchase any of VDH's new products, you will be pleasantly surprised.

11. It lathers MUCH better! A quick, VERY slick, and protective lather my friend. You'll love this Luxury soap. Get the Luxury Shave Set. Man is it nicely designed and crafted. Very masculine and 'modern wet shave' looking.

The soaps REALLY perform!

12. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

Got mine already pre-ordered. THey come out on the 24th, & I'll get it between the 29th & 31st. It'll be interesting to see i the soaps are a step up from what they've been doing.

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

How did I miss this thread?

14. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

does anyone know the list of ingredients for the soap?

15. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

all amazon says is "shea, mango, and cocoa butters".

16. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I saw on Amazon they sell as packs of 3...is that right? Anybody want to go in on a pack and get a puck-a-piece?

17. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I saw that. I was mainly wondering if it contains sls like the old versions...

its a nice price for the kit. hope it turns up in the drugstores.

18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Also both bars - scented and unscented - have over 10% glycerin which should make for a slick shave.

And yes, the Amazon page is 3 bars for cheaper than the 1 bar on eBay.

19. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

My set is pre-ordered already, so I'll be able to let you know verbatim what the ingredients are at the end of the month!:D

20. FamousAmos

FamousAmos Member

nut's, just pre-ordered after reading this thread. I don't need any of the stuff in the kit, except that the apothecary mug looks awesome and it'll replace my Campbell's Soup mug.

I have some reservations regarding the brush. I posted a review of the economy brush that is sold by Van Der Hagen at drug stores. i think it's a boar bristle brush. Anyways, it shed like crazy maybe a week after purchase. Clumps of bristles would come off on my face. Hopefully this deluxe 100% pure badger brush is made much better. Hopefully, it was just a dud I got and doesn't reflect Van der Hagen's quality control.

Good price and I'm looking forward to trying the soap, since I enjoy Van der Hagen's soap in general.