New Wet Shaver From Sacramento, CA!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by TomAllyn, Jun 12, 2018.

1. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

I'm brand new to wet shaving! I wet shaved for the first time this past Sunday at 55-years-old so I've only wet shaved 3 times so far. I wish I still had a double-edged razor I found in my dad's things many years ago. I've recently purchased 3 safety razors and one I returned to Nordstroms because I discovered it was an overpriced knockoff. The second one I purchased was used Gillette Super Speed and the third was a Ming Shi 2000s (See I don't mind knockoffs as long as they are not overpriced. LOL

I decided to start my wet shave journey using the Ming Shi 2000s armed with a Voskhod blade as I was more confident starting with an adjustable at the mildest setting. I'm also using Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap w/ a Semogue Owners Club Boar Bristle Shaving Brush, Dickenson's Witch Hazel, and Captain's Choice North Aftershave Lotion.

The first day I got a couple tiny weepers that cold water and Witch Hazel took care of and the last two I've had even better shaves without a single weeper. I've decided to stick to using these specific items and settings for at least 1 month and then possibly trying the Captains Choice North Shaving Soap I also have and possibly a more aggressive setting on the Ming Shi 2000s and/or another blade. I will, of course, change blades during all of this time when the current blade starts to tug a bit - I have several of the Voskhod blades to keep me covered for the first month and I have several other blades to try after that.

So anyway I'm new and I hope that this wasn't an overwhelming or underwhelming first post!

~Tom

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    RyX, 178-bplatoon, MR41 and 8 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @TomAllyn you sound like you have a good game plan.

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello Tom, and welcome!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

7. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wet side of the shave!

8. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

Thanks for the warm Welcome! I've been looking all over the Welcome center and can't seem to find the Newbie Giveaway! Help please! LOL

9. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

11BB6372-44CD-4CEA-8B65-4019ED979EAB.png Welcome from New Mexico!

10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

11. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome!

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Welcome to your journey and the Shave Den

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas. You are off to a great start. The Ming Shi 2000 is a fine shaving razor, and the Voskhods are excellent blades.

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome from a former long time Sacramentan.

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @TomAllyn from western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD. Nacet and Gillette Silver Blues are also very nice blades to try out.

18. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

Both came of those types of blades are part of my testers I purchased. Thank you for the recommendation I will keep them in mind when I try some of the other blades I purchased.

Enrico likes this.
  19. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD TomAllyn. Great to have you join our community. I trust that you will find this as I do, a very warm, friendly and knowledgable community. I can''t believe how much I learned since I joined this community and I had been wetshaving for 2 years before I joined. Enjoy!

20. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..