Newb disgusted looking for quality in the USA!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by joseywales, Dec 20, 2008.

1. joseywales

joseywales Member

First, thanks for a great forum. I'm learning a ton. I started with a TTO when I was 14 or so, but have never used on as an adult. I don't remember getting much instruction either, other than "here try this." Actually worked out fairly well as I remember. Now for my rant!

I really am disgusted at this point. Every hobbie or interest I have taken has always led me on a chase for quality and ultimately to the Internet, instead of local retailers. I recently grew a goatee, which has a good bit of grey to tell you how long I've been playing these games.

Handguns, shotguns, rifles, compound bows, RC cars, Trains. Hell, I even found a great fly-fishing shop, which I visited twice in the same month. My second visit was their Going Out of Business Sale:mad: Every time I get serious about something I hear the same old thing, "Buy the older models if you can find them online." "we used to carry that model, now it's just this one (which never fits me or my needs...ever)." Almost everything I acquire comes through forums, auction sites, and sometimes online retailers, which is where I expect the bulk of what I buy for quality shaving will occur.

Looking for a good selection of shaving soaps, blades, face lotion, or God forbid a TTO razor locally. Forget it. And I'm 20 minutes from Philadelphia... ACME, RiteAid, CVS, etc. all carry the exact brands. How do they expect to attract new customers if they all carry the same goods? Is our failing economy really such a mystery:eek:

The only bright side is that I found a Shaving Grace shop fairly close to home. They perform old-fashioned, full service straight razor shaves, etc. Very nice place with cigars, brandy, a pool table, dart board, etc. I was so tickled I spent too much on a Parker razor, badger brush, and mug gift combo. At least I think it's a Parker - Made in India. But, I just ordered a Weishi as well. I have hundreds of transactions on eBay and other sites, but I just got tired of looking for a Gillette SS, or Tech, etc. I prefer to use forum members now, but didn't see anything up recently, so I took the plunge on the Weishi. I'm certain it won't be my last razor, so...

Now I have to search the sites you all have recommended for soaps, lotions, etc. I did pick up the C&E Sienna after shave balm. Seems nice, but I'm not certain it's really helping a lot. I think I need to treat my face better before shaving, such as at night time, etc.

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome!

Finding "local quality" is getting rarer and rarer, where ever you are in the western world today, most products are made in China. Parker is indeed made in India and their 3 piece razors are great! (I've heard their TTO's leave more to wish for though.)

On the bright side, once you decide to try straight razor shaving you will find many good alternatives, made today in the USA! And the vintage DE's will not leave you disapointed either!

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den!

Don't forget to sign up for the December Newbie Give-Away!

And if you're looking for a certain razor, or anything else, you can always post a WTB (want to buy) in the Classifieds. I know some of our razor gurus have a ton of razor, and if someone says "Hey, I'm looking for such and such", they'll pop up with what you're looking for.

The store has shaving cream and shaving soap samples. Hopefully I'll be doing aftershave samples sometime in the near future.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome! Sounds like the start of a case of RAD (razor acquisition disorder). :D

I can imagine things are hard for flyshops back east, rubber trout and all, it's tough enough here in Trout country. :cool:

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Welcome to The Shave Den! And for local stuff, time to give your local antique dealer a look. Sure, it is vintage and may need work (clean up and adjustment) but there is a sense of history and even accomplishment in getting an older DE or straight razor.

But yeah, sadly, it is all plastic and electric today. Good steel DEs and straights have gone the way of the fins on fenders. And finding a local shop that carries old school shave items is like finding a place that still carries typewriters...good luck.

6. joseywales

joseywales Member

Well I have to say you are a patient bunch. Even I was annoyed after reading my post :ashamed001

I actually really enjoy flea markets, atnique shops and weekend "saling" as we call it. It's just that sometimes you just want to get a basic setup and then play the Seek n' Find games. Especially in the area of daily grooming, etc.

So here's what I have and maybe you can tell me what I need:

• A Parker TTO that came in a gift set. If I should avoid it, just let me know.
    • A Weishi TTO is on the way
    • Feather Platinum razors (packaged with the Weishi)
    • LAB Series shaving cream that I've been using for over a year now and really like. I'm not sure it will work well with DE razors, but it has exponentially raised my experience with cartridges and electrics. When using the LAB with my electric razor my face feels great, all be it not the closest shave due to the electric. The Panasonic Linear does do a decent job on my collar tearing facial hair though.
    • C&E Badger Travel Brush
    • Art of Shaving Badger Brush
    • C&E brush acrylic holder
    • Shaving mug - might be a bit small though - coffee mug size. Is larger better?
    • C&E Aftershave Balm - Sienna - nice smelling so any other AS or creams that are similar I'd be glad to hear about. The Mrs and I like the smell of Polo cologne if that helps ;)
    It's not that I'm rich, but spending money on the right product is OK by me. I have NEVER even had aftershave and dropping $25 didn't even make me queasy.

I saw the samplers in the Den Store and I'll look to grab some of the Trumper's and Truett samples. I am leaning toward soaps instead of creams as well.

7. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

If it's an "American Made Razor" you seek, let me know which one. I may have the one you seek in my stash and it won't cost you an arm or a leg. It may not be mint, but I gurantee you it will be American made and a shaver and comes with a money back gurantee...

After all the object of the game is to...

Enjoy your shave... :D

8. Queen of Blades

Don't discount the small soap vendors. I have a couple different hand-crafted soap makes available in the store.

9. JimR

JimR Active Member

Welcome, and I think you've made the right decision. Come to the forums for your purchasing, you'll be well served, I'm sure.

Enjoy!

10. joseywales

joseywales Member

I'm your huckleberry. And small vendors is just my game :D Can you tell me, since I use a scented aftershave, does it not make sense to use an unscented soap? And if so, is that something you can provide, or at least an extremely mild scent? Or, am I totally off base :confused:

11. joseywales

joseywales Member

Honestly, I was looking for what the members were recommending, which was a Gillette 40s Super Speed. Looks like a Rocket would do as well, but they seem to be more collectible. I ordered the Weishi from a vendor only because they're reported to be as close to the SS as you can find. I don't need anything fancy, but I typically look to find excellent or near mint items, mostly because they haven't been abused and work close to manufacture's specs. This would provide me with a better ability to evaluate the piece. That being said, a good clean sample from a trusted forum member, who knows that the razor functions prefectly would be fine with me. If you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them. I'll PM you as well.

thanks

12. Queen of Blades

Soap scent doesn't usually linger on the skin. It's just a matter of enjoying the experience.

I do have unscented in TSD soaps, as I make those soaps, but not in the other brands. But I'm sure you can get unscented soap at those brands own websites, or by contacting the vendors.

13. joseywales

joseywales Member

Thanks JoAnna. I'm putting together a sample order in the cart as I write. I like the smell of Polo cologne, though I put VERY little on. Can you recommend one, or a couple, of your fragrances that might mtach that, or compliment it?

14. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Post a want to buy ad in the classified section for exactly what you are looking for.
    There are some great members here that sell some exquistie razors that are near museum quality. Having said that the SS I have I received as a PIF and is well worn and had some major brassing. It is a great shaver, I have thought of re-offering it but it shaves so well I haven't been able to part with it yet.
    The SS is a mild shaver, I have a pretty coarse beard, and this isn't as aggressive as I like but it's very comfortable and a good starter.

Good luck and enjoy the journey

15. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I find it mildly amusing that a small operator in New Zealand can produce a quality safety razor, "The Goodfella",but no-one in the U.S.A or U.K. can even be bothered trying.:confused::confused:

16. Queen of Blades

Polo is quite a complex scent.

From basenotes;
    Top Notes
    * Pine , Lavender, Juniper, Artemisia, Bergamot, Cumin, Basil, Green Notes.

Middle Notes
    * Coriander, Marjoram, Jasmin, Carnation, Geranium, Thyme, Rose.

Base Notes
    * Oakmoss, Patchouli, Leather, Cedar, Amber, Musk, Frankinsense.

Sounds like just about any of the essential oils I have should compliment the Polo.

17. Queen of Blades

Most of us are waiting on reviews from those who are trying the razor(s). And some just aren't going to be willing, or able, to pay the price.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, though.

18. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

mine is sitting still in the box, I haven't tried the goodfella yet.
    Cutting my teeth with a straight I got last week, I'll post a note when I break it out.

19. joseywales

joseywales Member

Once I build up enough posts, I'll try just that. I'm guessing you and I are in the same boat, beard-wise, as I've ruined some nice flannel collars. I'll try the Weishi I ordered, but will probably be seeking something more agressive than that, and the SS, at some point.

20. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I'm not 100% sure about TSD's classified section policy but usually you are free to buy, you just can't sell or trade till you get your post count up and you put in your time on the board.
    Try your hand with the welshi and get your technique down, ask lots of questions. Don't go crazy with creams/soaps or AS just yet, just pick one that is known to be good like tabac for soap or frasers for cream or of course any of the TSD products.
    Once you get comfortable with the welshi look into an a gillette red tip which is more aggressive than the regular superspeed or an open comb razor like the gillette new, new improved or old, or the Merkur slant