Newbie and abbreviations/acronym soup

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by George X, Apr 15, 2016.

1. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Is there a spot in the forums that breaks down acronyms/abbreviations such as YMMV and others?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, chrisbd, RyX and 4 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE
    You'll find the acronyms and abbreviations HERE
    Kerry

chrisbd, RyX, PickledNorthern and 2 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

chrisbd and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD! You may also check out to sticky at the top of this forum, as it has a link to some acronyms.

chrisbd, George X and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD!

chrisbd and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. George X

Thanks Kerry

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Anytime. Welcome aboard.

chrisbd, Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  8. George X

I retired from the Air Force in 2008 and live in Colorado. I shave every day and it's always seemed like a chore. Been married for 31 years and all our kids are grown. I've been a long time seeker of the best ever shave.

In my adolescent years I was introduced to a Gillette cartridge razor and some trusty Barbasol from my dad. I knew nothing but irritation and as i got older and technology matured I was spending a fortune on Mach 3 and the likes. While doing some googling, I came across an article about safety razors. More googling and lurking of forums I found an interest in trying a double edge in hopes of taming the razor burn.

More google searches for the best DE Safety Razor I decided to try my luck on one of the top 10s and try and do it inexpensively. I went to Amazon and searched for "set" and settled on a Merkur 38c HD, a sample pack of blades, Geo Trumper Skin Food, Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn for sensitive skin a GBS Badger brush, soap, bowl and a stand for $117. That's about what I was spending every 2-3 months on the cartridges and irritation. My starter kit arrived mid March.

From the first shave I have been impressed and I will not be going back to cartridges except for travel. I have not knocked or cut myself once. I do the 3 pass shave. I have limited to zero irritation and my skin feels baby bottom smooth. The growth of stubble seems to have slowed or at least is not as irritable.

9. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

First off thank you for your service!!

Secondly Welcome to TSD! We are glad you are here and we look forward to having you. Sounds like a great setup you got going on and no irritation and baby bottom smooth shaves at only a month in your already doing better then I did.

10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome to the Den! It only gets better from here.

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

There's another retired air force person here..swarden43,.. so you're in good company. Welcome to TSD!.:transport024:

13. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club and the addiction! Thank you for your service.

14. George X

Lots of google searches to get it right and every search yielded very similar preparation instructions that worked solidly for me. The only thing added to my ritual is a little extra maintenance at the end of the shave.

I dip my blade in alcohol and swish it around and pat it dry and then let it hang on a magnetic that is siliconed to my mirror.

15. George X

It will absolutely get better from here as I learn from the seasoned wet shavers and I look forward to it

16. George X

Thanks for info.

17. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Hello and welcome from a fellow Air Force vet.

What did you do while you were in?

I only wish I knew about this way of shaving much sooner.

18. George X

JR thanks and yes I wish learned about this sooner. I worked ICBM maintenance in the Space and Missile Systems career field. How about you?

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

BTW TSD = The Shave Den. LOL

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good evening, glad to have you.